News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD - Danelectro Convertible

Started by matmosphere, February 11, 2022, 10:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

I love me a good Tele or Jazzmaster, but I think Danelectro makes my favorite guitars. I've already got a DC59 RI from the 90's, and the blue Hodad (also from that era) in the pictures. I'll never part ways with eiter, because they are both just great guitars. The range of tones you can get out of a good DC59 is quite surprising, let alone what the Hodad can do (phase switching, coil tapping).

But I had never had a convertible. I had thought about picking one up for a long time, but the newer Danos I've played aren't quite as nice as the early reissue ones. The older ones use a scarf joint on the neck which give a different angle to the headstock and the tension on the stings feels better to me.

This one popped up on Instagram and I couldn't resist. It's from that period, it looks pretty pristine, and the guy fixed my biggest complaint about these, the bridge. They use three little hex screws to adjust the height and just float on the body. The guy I got this from installed post in the body and modified the bridge to be height adjustable, which I'm digging so far.

Haven't had a chance to plug it in yet but it's loud acoustically. Doesn't sound bad that way either.

matmosphere

Here are a couple more pics.

BTW, I generally don't like sparkly guitars.. Honest

And a quick video of it unplugged

harryklippton

I've always been interested in the danelectro instruments. I really wanted a 66 for a while, and I still want a longhorn bass or a bass 6. That color looks good and I like the sparkle

imjonwain

I've always wanted a convertible but haven't seen them selling for reasonable prices in awhile :'(
"I'm not sure what "serious design flaws" you see. Does it explode or poison your dog?" - PRR

madbean

That looks great! By chance, I have a NGD Danelectro coming next week. I broke my promise not to buy any new guitars this year, haha. I do have one of the Danoblaster Baritones and it's pretty great. I think it's plywood construction!

Aentons

I had a Dead-on 67 for a bit and really enjoyed other than the bridge and vibrato were laughably bad. Yours looks much better.

matmosphere

Just realized the video doesn't work. I'll have too see what I did wrong on the privacy settings. I usually lock that stuff down, maybe this time too much.

Quote from: madbean on February 12, 2022, 03:38:18 AM
That looks great! By chance, I have a NGD Danelectro coming next week. I broke my promise not to buy any new guitars this year, haha. I do have one of the Danoblaster Baritones and it's pretty great. I think it's plywood construction!

Thanks! I haven't bought a guitar in several years and feel like I have a reasonable amount, but it's been a long couple years so I thought increasing the heard by one was reasonable. Plus I haven't had an acoustic for years... this qualifies, right?

Those Baritones are cool. I've played a couple but never owned one. They sound great!

I'd love to get a Coral Sitar one day, but that's a little harder to justify.

Quote from: Aentons on February 12, 2022, 04:50:05 AM
I had a Dead-on 67 for a bit and really enjoyed other than the bridge and vibrato were laughably bad. Yours looks much better.

I like the rosewood bridge thing, I think it adds to the sound, but I've never tried that vibrato. It doesn't really look like it would work.

culturejam

Congrats! It has a very Prince vibe to it, which is never a bad thing.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects