21 (50%)
Black is beautiful
9 (21.4%)
Don't care or invisible circuit boards
12 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Voting closed: March 22, 2022, 02:15:05 PM

madbean

I've been running all my boards in black for a few years now. It looks the best and is most consistent with color. Often red, blue, etc run in different batches can be different shades from one another. I don't care for yellow and I hate white ones because they contrast badly with flux.

So I was thinking of going back to plain old boring green. The reason is it's much easier to follow the traces on the boards that way. Black is very hard to pick out with my aging eyes. So, maybe it's better to go with the color that's most beneficial to actual builders?

One other possible reason. I read recently about the different ways solder mask color is achieved and there was a claim that the materials used for black could become conductive in the wrong situation. I don't know the truth of that but I personally have had a couple cases where I picked up voltages on boards where none should exist. And this has only happened in the last year or so. I can't attribute it to anything in particular but it's for sure caused me to rethink how I have the boards made.

Thewintersoldier

Green is cool, classic old school. I'm not a snob about board colors so green is fine with me as I'm sure everyone else would be. As long as the project is fire who cares about the color.
Who the hell is Bucky?

zombie_rock123

I remember getting my first black 'Bean PCB and thought it looked super sleek, like I'd accidentally been sent the pro version or something. But I'm an idiot, and green is great. Bring back the lean green music machines.
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

harryklippton

In the case of unintentional conductivity with the black mask, and the fact that it's easier to follow the traces with green, I say go with green! Also anything is better than white. I went back and cleaned up a retrograde I built and thought the flux looked like rat piss all over the board. It got a scrubby scrub

Aentons

Apparently, black and blue have carbon in them that make them conductive.

Green FTW!

madbean

Quote from: Aentons on March 12, 2022, 04:11:26 PM

This might be where I heard the black solder mask thing from. I'm subscribed to most of Simon Whistlers youTube channels, haha.

jessenator

I'll second the white-board sentiments. Ordered up some for another project and exactly like you said, the flux makes it so awful. In the vintage Mac land, purple has been the new hotness, but I think it might be getting out of control...

But really, are you using clear enclosures? How often are you cork smelling with your PCB amongst pedal pals?

Green is the new black :P

bbd

Please change to green. I have never liked black due to not being able to see the traces.

jimilee

I can't stand green, but now that you say that, I've had trouble with white solder masks just plain coming off. As far as seeing traces, I wear bifocals, then reading glasses, then magnifier glasses. So much blind. Green may help.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

culturejam

I like colors, but green is definitely easier to see. I wish they made clear solder mask.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

benny_profane

Quote from: culturejam on March 12, 2022, 07:05:45 PM
I like colors, but green is definitely easier to see. I wish they made clear solder mask.
Osh park has the 'after dark' variant. Check it out.

culturejam

Quote from: benny_profane on March 12, 2022, 07:35:33 PM

Thanks! I will definitely check that out.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Invertiguy

Personally I hate the look of green boards and prefer pretty much any other color (except white for previously mentioned reasons), but it's not like it'd stop me from buying them and ultimately practical considerations outweigh aesthetic ones so if it works better and makes things easier for you than go for it!
Doomsday Devices

matmosphere

Quote from: culturejam on March 12, 2022, 09:33:12 PM
Quote from: benny_profane on March 12, 2022, 07:35:33 PM

Thanks! I will definitely check that out.

I used it for something. I think it was a transparent mask, but it was a while back and I vaguely remember thinking I messed it up somehow cause it wasn't all black.

I'm in favor of green if everyone thinks it will be easier to follow the traces. I can generally manage fine with the more matte black Brian has been using, but green seems to be the industry standard and there's probably a reason for that.

pickdropper

Quote from: Invertiguy on March 15, 2022, 03:59:17 AM
Personally I hate the look of green boards and prefer pretty much any other color (except white for previously mentioned reasons), but it's not like it'd stop me from buying them and ultimately practical considerations outweigh aesthetic ones so if it works better and makes things easier for you than go for it!

Yeah, I don't like green at all.  Far prefer black or blue.

I think White can look great, you just need to wash the boards.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper