Tube ban

Started by Aentons, March 12, 2022, 09:55:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aentons

Quote from: pickdropper on March 28, 2022, 08:37:26 PM
Quote from: Thewintersoldier on March 28, 2022, 10:03:02 AM
Quote from: danfrank on March 25, 2022, 05:42:12 PM
Quote from: jimilee on March 18, 2022, 07:22:30 AM
Why even bothering announcing something pretty major, and then recanting it two days later???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what Mike Mathews does... He's a total shyster...
He got a marketing degree from Harvard... Yes, really...
Especially since he's aligned with new sensor, I feel like it was a way to raise prices by scaring everyone with impending doom over scarcity. Pretty good plan. Ironically I got a matched set of ehx 6l6gc for 59 dollars from doug's tubes if anyone is looking to not get ripped off. Those are solid tubes. Also the JJs when eurotubes reopens wont see a price hike, at least thats what they said.

It's more than alignment with New Sensor.  EHX owns New Sensor.

It seems the export ban was real.  Many items were banned and tubes were just one of the things on the list.  How much of the new EHX pricing is necessary, I have no idea.

Tubes haven't really gone up in price for years.  It's somewhat amazing how resistant to inflation they've become.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the prices come down a bit when supply normalizes, but it wouldn't be surprising if they never quite get back to where they were before, particularly if demand stays high.
I thought their statement said something about the price increase was due to new import tariffs from the sanctions and whatnot

Edit: here it is
https://shop.ehx.com/russian-tubes/

"Considering various economic pressures, we must raise our wholesale prices. This price increase will apply to all back- and new orders. Also, there will likely be a further price increase for tubes shipped from our NYC headquarters once the government implements heightened tariffs against Russian goods, akin to the 35% rate Canada is now imposing. Other territories, including EU, UK, and Japan, are expected to follow suit."

pickdropper

Quote from: Aentons on March 28, 2022, 09:13:41 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on March 28, 2022, 08:37:26 PM
Quote from: Thewintersoldier on March 28, 2022, 10:03:02 AM
Quote from: danfrank on March 25, 2022, 05:42:12 PM
Quote from: jimilee on March 18, 2022, 07:22:30 AM
Why even bothering announcing something pretty major, and then recanting it two days later???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what Mike Mathews does... He's a total shyster...
He got a marketing degree from Harvard... Yes, really...
Especially since he's aligned with new sensor, I feel like it was a way to raise prices by scaring everyone with impending doom over scarcity. Pretty good plan. Ironically I got a matched set of ehx 6l6gc for 59 dollars from doug's tubes if anyone is looking to not get ripped off. Those are solid tubes. Also the JJs when eurotubes reopens wont see a price hike, at least thats what they said.

It's more than alignment with New Sensor.  EHX owns New Sensor.

It seems the export ban was real.  Many items were banned and tubes were just one of the things on the list.  How much of the new EHX pricing is necessary, I have no idea.

Tubes haven't really gone up in price for years.  It's somewhat amazing how resistant to inflation they've become.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the prices come down a bit when supply normalizes, but it wouldn't be surprising if they never quite get back to where they were before, particularly if demand stays high.
I thought their statement said something about the price increase was due to new import tariffs from the sanctions and whatnot

Edit: here it is
https://shop.ehx.com/russian-tubes/

"Considering various economic pressures, we must raise our wholesale prices. This price increase will apply to all back- and new orders. Also, there will likely be a further price increase for tubes shipped from our NYC headquarters once the government implements heightened tariffs against Russian goods, akin to the 35% rate Canada is now imposing. Other territories, including EU, UK, and Japan, are expected to follow suit."

Yeah, EHX definitely made a statement about it.  I think a lot of folks are skeptical and feel that EHX is just price gouging, particularly in regard to stock that they already had in hand.

I don't necessarily feel that way.  I think that sudden demand has massively outstripped supply due to fears of shortage, real or imagined.  Most of the tube dealers have increased pricing to what consumers are willing to pay.  If the supply chain stabilizes and panic buying subsides a bit , pricing may come down a bit. 
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Thewintersoldier

I get the whole supply and demand thing. I just don't get how tubes became the new toilet  paper overnight lol. I don't get panic buying at ridiculous prices. I got a set cause I actually needed them and they were out of stock prior. I got them at the regular price they were. I can understand the price going up on new orders from vendors. It was just nice to see that not everyone thought to instantly pass the buck to the consumer on preexisting stock. I can stomach going from 29 dollars a tube to 40 a tube because I don't go thru them like that. It's the vendors tripling the price that get me. I wonder if this will effect JJ tubes price since they are Slovakian. either way, glad I still have my line6 spider haha
Who the hell is Bucky?

Aentons

QuoteI think a lot of folks are skeptical and feel that EHX is just price gouging, particularly in regard to stock that they already had in hand.
Oh ok I see... Their statement just says all new and back orders. Where is the ehx existing stock price increase being seen?

EBK

"new" orders would be referring to existing stock, wouldn't it?  Backorders would be sales of future stock.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: EBK on March 29, 2022, 09:44:22 AM
"new" orders would be referring to existing stock, wouldn't it?  Backorders would be sales of future stock.
I was referring to new stock, not existing stock. I realize it's up to the retailer to do as they please though.
Who the hell is Bucky?

Aentons

Quote from: EBK on March 29, 2022, 09:44:22 AM
Hmm, I take it to mean that they already have stuff on backorder coming from the factory and new orders are anything after that. I can't imagine they have much stock sitting in the NYC office.

Aentons

Here is an office tour video. About 9 minutes in they show the tube department which is just one lady sitting at a machine doing matching.

pickdropper

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on March 29, 2022, 07:30:18 AM
I get the whole supply and demand thing. I just don't get how tubes became the new toilet  paper overnight lol. I don't get panic buying at ridiculous prices. I got a set cause I actually needed them and they were out of stock prior. I got them at the regular price they were. I can understand the price going up on new orders from vendors. It was just nice to see that not everyone thought to instantly pass the buck to the consumer on preexisting stock. I can stomach going from 29 dollars a tube to 40 a tube because I don't go thru them like that. It's the vendors tripling the price that get me. I wonder if this will effect JJ tubes price since they are Slovakian. either way, glad I still have my line6 spider haha

Yeah, the massive run on tubes was panic buying.  I did contribute a bit as I realized I didn't have backups for all of my power tubes, but I wouldn't consider my purchases at the hording level (mine were all at regular price as well).  Of course, if everybody decided they need back-up tubes at the same time, it puts an unnatural strain on the supply chain at a time where inventory is lower than normal.

I don't really think most people go through tubes that fast.  I had a an EL34 fail in a Marshall last year (those came with the amp when I got it).  My Vibrolux has had the same power tubes in it for 25+ years.  I do admit that I like having a backup set for all my amps so that I can keep it running in case of sudden failure, but odds are I won't need them for a while.  I still fire up a tube amp everyday.  I don't leave them off out of fear of consuming tubes.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Aentons

https://www.wired.com/story/one-mans-quest-to-revive-the-great-american-vacuum-tube/

"He says he aims to launch Western Electric's 12AX7, America's first new tube in decades, this summer. After that he plans to add a string of additional models, versions of the 6L6, EL34, EL84 12 AT7, and 6V6 tubes—a lineup he calculates makes up almost 80 percent of the relevant music equipment, such as guitar and studio amps. If all goes to plan, the US could once again dominate vacuum tube manufacturing."

harryklippton

Quote from: Aentons on March 28, 2023, 12:11:32 PM

https://www.wired.com/story/one-mans-quest-to-revive-the-great-american-vacuum-tube/

"He says he aims to launch Western Electric's 12AX7, America's first new tube in decades, this summer. After that he plans to add a string of additional models, versions of the 6L6, EL34, EL84 12 AT7, and 6V6 tubes—a lineup he calculates makes up almost 80 percent of the relevant music equipment, such as guitar and studio amps. If all goes to plan, the US could once again dominate vacuum tube manufacturing."

I was just wondering what happened with this the other day. Thanks for the link

WonkoTheSane

Glenn Fricker is funny, he misses the point. JJ and the Chinese tubes are really microphonic most of the time, it's about quality and reliability not about sound for most of us. JJ has issues with glass annealing and the tubes crack and lose vacuum, as well as short out and destroy transformers. This is not cool, and I'll pay for good tubes that aren't unreliable junk. The TAD ones are all hand selected, but cost more too because of that 30% good tube problem.
That which burns twice as bright, burns half as long.