News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Great Gibson Experience

Started by jimilee, May 22, 2022, 03:23:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Sorry it's so long, I got no one else to tell.

Their customer service is still shit, but the service is fantastic. No communication beyond me calling and being told two weeks, like every time. Finally, I got someone honest who told me typical wait time is 6 to 8 weeks. I could live with that, I just wanted a realistic time line.

So, you'll remember I got a Les Paul Studio dark from GC. When I bought it,I talked to a sales person from their call center, (I guess?). I asked for 15% off, and he gave it to me. When the guitar came, the neck binding had horrific tooling marks, I mean bad. I called him up to discuss it. I asked for another 15% off, and he gave it to me. I didn't want to roll the dice on another one.

So, now I got a new Les Paul for 30% off, but it still had chewed up binding. After trying to decide who I wanted to take it to, I decided I'd rather have Gibson fix it. I emailed customer service with the photos, they mentioned it may be under warranty. Bonus! So I emailed that department who promptly sent out a shipping label so I could send it in. 6 weeks later, I got a fantastic Les Paul with rolled edges and a professional set up, all for a killer price. I couldn't be happier.

If you made it this far, it's a Studio Dark limited edition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

harryklippton

I always wondered what tooling marks looked like when I see people mention that problem on Gibsons. Got any pics before it was fixed?

gordo

What's very strange is how does it make it thru any of the build phases like that?  I mean from the guy that installed the binding, the finisher, the parts guy, the setup guy, to the guy that puts it in the case to box it up.  Interesting that it's likely such a production line mentality that it become's "someone else's problem".  I guess I tend to think of guitar building jobs as a bit more magical.

Anyway, thanks for posting this.  Nice to have a happy story in the news these days.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

Quote from: harryklippton on May 22, 2022, 04:00:08 AM
I always wondered what tooling marks looked like when I see people mention that problem on Gibsons. Got any pics before it was fixed?

Looks like it was chewed on pretty good.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jimilee

Quote from: gordo on May 22, 2022, 11:47:40 AM
What's very strange is how does it make it thru any of the build phases like that?  I mean from the guy that installed the binding, the finisher, the parts guy, the setup guy, to the guy that puts it in the case to box it up.  Interesting that it's likely such a production line mentality that it become's "someone else's problem".  I guess I tend to think of guitar building jobs as a bit more magical.

Anyway, thanks for posting this.  Nice to have a happy story in the news these days.
I agree, hopefully they went back to the person that let pass, for a conversion.

harryklippton

Quote from: jimilee on May 22, 2022, 02:27:44 PM

Oh wow yeah that looks like ass. Glad to hear they fixed it. How many les Paul's do you have Jimi?

EBK

I imagine someone down the production line only complains once about what someone did previously.  They get told to stay in their lane, and they never feel like complaining again.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

jimilee

Quote from: EBK on May 22, 2022, 03:49:57 PM
I imagine someone down the production line only complains once about what someone did previously.  They get told to stay in their lane, and they never feel like complaining again.
In my head, there's a different set of supervisory eyes for warranty work. I don't know...

jimilee

Quote from: harryklippton on May 22, 2022, 03:26:21 PM
Quote from: jimilee on May 22, 2022, 02:27:44 PM

Oh wow yeah that looks like ass. Glad to hear they fixed it. How many les Paul's do you have Jimi?
7, if memory serves.

thomasha

Now I need a picture of the fix, otherwise it will haunt me in my dreams every time I buy online.

Aentons

Glad you got it fixed. Sounds like GC tried to send you a reject to compensate for that 30% 15% off. They are super shady like that

jimilee

Quote from: Aentons on May 22, 2022, 08:14:25 PM
Glad you got it fixed. Sounds like GC tried to send you a reject to compensate for that 30% 15% off. They are super shady like that
Truth! Jokes on them, huh! No way I was gonna have them fix it.

jimilee

Quote from: thomasha on May 22, 2022, 07:20:58 PM
Now I need a picture of the fix, otherwise it will haunt me in my dreams every time I buy online.
You got it. I'm very happy with the rolled binding, it feels a lot better. I feel like the pro setup was doing that little bit extra. They also set up the Les Paul I bought in Nashville at the Gibson Garage.

gordo

Jeebus, that's a pretty pricey guitar by any standards and that fact that the black binding calls itself out I'm really blown away by Gibson's Quality Control. Or lack of it.  If I could afford a Gibby these days it does my head and heart good that at least they stood behind getting you in a happy place and that you're a satisfied customer.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

Quote from: gordo on May 23, 2022, 02:03:45 AM
Jeebus, that's a pretty pricey guitar by any standards and that fact that the black binding calls itself out I'm really blown away by Gibson's Quality Control. Or lack of it.  If I could afford a Gibby these days it does my head and heart good that at least they stood behind getting you in a happy place and that you're a satisfied customer.
Me too, sir. Thank you.