News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Low Signal Relay 5VDC DPDT Latching for VFESB v3 board

Started by Plaid63, June 27, 2022, 08:48:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plaid63

Hey, I'm knew to building with about a dozen basic builds so far. I'm going to try to tackle a couple of VFE builds. I've got several part-related questions but let's start here. I need the Low Signal Relay 5VDC DPDT Latching for the VFESB v3 board. Mouser is out. Tayda has a number of them listed but I honestly have no idea what I'm looking at concerning this part. Can I get some feedback on this issue? Thanks for your time.

jimilee

What about jameco, arrow or small bear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Plaid63

Jimilee strikes again! Small Bear has the double coil but is out of the single coil. Best I can guess I need the single coil??? Will try Jameco and Arrow. I've got a few other questions so if you don't mind I'll message bomb you in a bit. These VFE effects are amazing but running down some of these parts is tough. Thx!

Bio77

You can find subs on mouser.  You are looking for a single coil 4.5-5V 10 pin, low-profile, latching relay. Tayda has the non-latching ones which won't work in the VFE builds.

Plaid63

Ok got them in the Tubes and More cart. Couple of other things: A couple more parts were missing from the Mouser VFE order folder: LP2950 - I see that LM78L05 is supposed to be a replacement which I have in a Tayda cart. As far as the Zener diode maybe I'm overlooking it in the VFE page but I don't believe I see what value I'm supposed to use. The 1mH - rookie question I know but what is a 1mH and I don't think I have in the Mouser cart. ??? Also, I putting this in a 125b so I'll assume low profile caps are not necessary, correct? And low ESR? Mostly I have 25v-50v values. Does that work.
Thanks for the input. This is a super cool site, especially with all this feedback.

Bio77

I don't know that you can sub the 78L05 for the 2950, there are some performance difference.  Maybe some else can report that they have had success. 

The zener is dependent on which project you are building.  You have to look over the switching board docs and figure out which one you need for your project.  Also, depending on what you are building you won't be populating everything on the switching board. 

For most of the switching board parts, I'd suggest getting extras of the things that apply to all the builds (like the inductor, regulators, and the JFETs.  The VFE projects are cool and after getting through your first one you'll probably want to build another.

Plaid63

Would you mind taking a look at this Mouser page and let me know if you see a proper replacement? Sorry to be such a noob but I want to get this right before I start soldering.

https://www.mouser.com/c/semiconductors/power-management-ics/voltage-regulators-voltage-controllers/ldo-voltage-regulators/?m=Texas%20Instruments&series=LP2950-N

Bio77

Mouser has them is stock.  I would suggest getting these.  The LDO is a feature that is not in the 78L05.  I'm not certain it is needed here.  I know that the VFE style seems to be to use the best of all parts.  Sometimes it is overkill, but in this instance, I'm not sure.  Maybe someone else has tried a 78L05 and can report.

Plaid63

Ok good deal. Then I'll get the LP2950CZ-5.0/NOPB that's at the top of the Mouser page.

These parts that have the same number but different letter endings confuse me. Like LP2950CZ vs. LP2950ACZ or CDT. Are they just different manufacturers of the same part or is there something different about each part?

Derpinador

may have to read the data sheets. I know in electrolytic caps can have same values but different lead spacings, volt ratings, lifespan...... but some other parts on Mouser are virtually identical and the different pre/suffixes are more a matter of manufacturing time frame like what year or some minor, hidden change half way through.

Plaid63

Gotcha. Quite the learning curve but part of the fun. TY!