News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

How to solder SMD components

Started by jjjimi84, July 14, 2022, 12:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jessenator

When someone who's done it for ages gets in a groove, it's rather like witchcraft haha.

Another method is using solder paste and a heat gun, but I haven't had much luck that way. It's a whole other level. It's amazing to watch, though, since the components just seem to seat themselves properly—it's mesmerizing!

Another approach I've seen involves not even pads with at all. Just be nice and liberal with the flux and go slow: keep a bit on the iron tip and tack down one side—doesn't have to be final, just so it doesn't move around. But you do the other side, then reflow the first and you've got a nice and seated component.

I've also found, especially with smaller boards like these, to orient the board to how your hand like to naturally be so you're not expending extra dexterity ...that sounds like you're making a D&D roll, but the less you're contorting your hand, the better.

I've had to scav for junk boards to practice on, since I've damaged a vintage board once (or twice). Nice to not have to worry about lifting pads or anything if you don't care about it; you can just focus on repetition.

marks

Quote from: thomasha on November 05, 2022, 05:04:01 AM
Do you have a suggestion of how to solder SMD small-ish resistors?
It's a nightmare. Too much pressure on the tweezers and they fly away and I have to look for them on the carpet.
If you know of a better way of handling such parts it would be very helpful!

I just pre-solder one pad, hold the resistor down, heat it to tack it down, then solder the other side properly, then usually come back and redo the first since it has no flux.

I don't often have pieces go flying (even tiny 0402), and I have really shaky hands too.

Maybe try something else to hold it down, like a screwdriver or something?

Magnifier helps immensely, by the way.