News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

no more 14mm pots?

Started by jwin615, August 14, 2022, 05:25:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwin615

Over the last 2 years I've built up and organized a pretty decent inventory. Can grab and mb pcb and build 95% or better without needing to order anything.
Pulled out the snack shack last night(paid, not giveaway ver) pcb and got to work. Came down to the pot and jacks and, AARRRGGGHH!!! 14mm?!?!?
I have tons of 9mm and 16mm as that is what most projects seem to use.
Brain, could you consider limiting projects to just these sizes? Building an inventory of pots is one of the biggest up front costs as far as inventory is concerned.
Or enlighten me as to what the benefit of a 14mm is over a 16mm?
Or, layout with 2 sets of pads?
I don't mean to sound ungrateful or entitled. I'm just impatient and hate, after spending all this time and money getting my sh*t together and inventoried, to had a one kob project sitting on the bench until I can order it's one knob... (I wired a 16mm off board for now for testing, but can't mount).
Yes, I should do better at planning ahead, and I do plan ahead. Just figured I could grab all the jelly beans and slap this together before bed.
Thanks for all you do for the hobby and hearing my rant.

gordo

14's??  Is that a typo?  I recall 24s (guitar size) but don't recall 14's.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

gordo

Damn, I stand corrected.  That's pretty crafty.  I built the giveaway version without the magic knob light.  I'd just replace it with a 16mm and call it a night if those are the parts you have.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

Quote from: gordo on August 14, 2022, 08:42:39 AM
Damn, I stand corrected.  That's pretty crafty.  I built the giveaway version without the magic knob light.  I'd just replace it with a 16mm and call it a night if those are the parts you have.

There's a magic knob light? Damn, I need to build mine, I did not know that.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jwin615

Quote from: gordo on August 14, 2022, 08:42:39 AM
16mm ws a hair to big and it's the only mounting point for the board.
I couldn't bend the legs enough to seat them and drop them.
The whole time I was mumbling "Why?"
I soldered to the legs of a 16mm, ultimately. But I see that as a wasted pot end game.
After a solder and desolder, it's trash.

n8b5150

Quote from: jwin615 on August 14, 2022, 05:25:51 AM
Or enlighten me as to what the benefit of a 14mm is over a 16mm?

The 14mm clear shaft pots are lit up with an LED that is board mounted. I have a bunch of these if you want one. Looks like it takes a 500kb. I got them in a group buy here a long time ago, but have only used a few.

madbean

Appreciate the feedback on the 14mm pot and I'm sorry it has caused you frustration. It's not something I typically do (I think this is the only current project that calls for one). The intent was to do something a bit fun for that build but I can see it might not be for everyone.

jwin615

Quote from: madbean on August 15, 2022, 05:48:03 AM
Appreciate the feedback on the 14mm pot and I'm sorry it has caused you frustration. It's not something I typically do (I think this is the only current project that calls for one). The intent was to do something a bit fun for that build but I can see it might not be for everyone.

Thanks for the reply.
I definitely appreciate the concept and trying something new. Maybe if it's used in the future, include a second set of thru holes in parallel on the pcb for one for the more conveniental sizes?
If that could be done without driving Eagle nuts anyway.

madbean

Quote from: jwin615 on August 18, 2022, 05:15:55 AM
Thanks for the reply.
I definitely appreciate the concept and trying something new. Maybe if it's used in the future, include a second set of thru holes in parallel on the pcb for one for the more conveniental sizes?

That's actually a really good idea. Had not thought about that!

jwin615

Quote from: madbean on August 18, 2022, 05:22:59 AM
Quote from: jwin615 on August 18, 2022, 05:15:55 AM
Thanks for the reply.

That's actually a really good idea. Had not thought about that!
I think it'd be pretty awesome to have 9mm and 16mm holes on all projects when real estate allows it. Would probably be more troublesome to retrofit onto 9mm project layouts but anything with 16mm pots should have clearance inside to 16mm footprint for a 9mm pad set.