News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Anyone here had back spinal surgery? Or Family/Friends that have?

Started by peAk, September 22, 2022, 11:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peAk

I wont make this long, and I know its not pedal related, so hopefully won't be an issue

Anyway, any of you had lower lumbar back surgery? If so, what kind, what was the outcome, comparing before to after, etc.

I hear success stories, I hear horror stories, ....just looking to hear people's experiences.

mjg

Yes, my teenage son had spinal surgery about a year ago.  But that was due to a bike crash, he broke vertebrae in upper back.  So possibly not the same sort of thing you are looking at?

He's made a full recovery, was up and walking about 3 days after surgery, and out of hospital after a week.  No ongoing issues, except that he still likes downhill mountain biking.

just yesterday spent 4 hours in the hospital with him, just a concussion this time.  Ffs.

gordo

A buddy of mine is just getting out of surgery now.  He was a vet but is pushing 70.  Will update as I hear his progress.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

madbean

Surgery, no. But for years I had serious lower back pain. It's actually the worst pain I've ever experienced. Even worse than when I fractured my foot in two places. There was simply no relief to be had without incredibly strong pain killers (vicoden).

I can't explain why but I haven't had a major episode in about a decade. It just seemed to go away. I've had a few aches here and there but they seem to resolve in a day or two. Nothing like what I went through in my 20s and 30s. I guess none of this is that relevant to your question, haha.

peAk

Thanks guys

Had back issues for 14 years now (4 herniated discs) just all kind of issues on and off.

Currently going to Physical Therapy, Acupuncture, and Cryotherapy. On about 7 different medications (no hard narcotics) currently

Had the spinal epidural steroid injections, they helped a little but seems thats all the orthopedic drs ever want to do (besides meds)

Meeting with a neurosurgeon next Wed, Oct 5th. Kind of why I created the thread, a little nervous because I am getting to "that point"

Anyway, glad to see the little response to this thread, tells me most of you guys have decent backs.

Brian, and any others who have had episodes, or even ones that havent....

Take care of your back! Fix your posture, don't be macho in the gym and lift more than you should, dont lift that friends pool table if you think its too heavy, be careful when drop your keys and bend over to pick them up, when you grab your baby from the car seat,  etc etc.....

I'm 48, in pretty good shape, dont smoke, quit drinking almost a year ago, try to eat healthy (ani inflammatory), the whole nine yards.

Once your back goes, part of your life goes. Trust me.

Bio77

I remember you posting your back friendly desk set up, a few years back.  I had an episode a few years ago and I definitely understand how this impacts pretty much any movement.  It totally sucks.  I wish you the best and hope this works out.

DGWVI

I haven't had actual surgery yet, but I do get bi-monthly steroid epidurals for three ruptured discs in my lumbar. There have been talks of replacing them with a synthetic, but the doctors have just been wanting to drag the epidurals out.

As for the shots, they hurt like hell for the first week, then I get maybe 3-4 weeks of relief before it starts wearing off, and the pain seemingly feels worse than before the shots

jwin615

Herniated and degen here. RFA every 6 months a meds.
I'll echo, take care of your back.
Slipped my disc first time at the old age of !30! sitting down my then 1.5yo daughter.
A lot of dumb stuff and dumb choices led me here.
"Yeah, I can pickup that log and put it in the back of the truck."
Lift with your legs guys. Once it's popped, it won't stop.
Best of luck peak.
As you lay in bed recovering and pain meds, remember, you don't need -every- Russian germanium diode on ebay. :)

peAk

Well,

Three days since spinal laminectomy/discectomy surgery

First 24 hrs I felt amazing. I could walk, stand, I was pain free. Euphoric

Then I had my first trip to the restroom and everything changed. Without going into details, when I sat up, a lightning bolt shot through my glute to my toes. Now I am only able to walk and stand 5-10 minutes before my leg cramps are unbearable. I thought I reherniated but the nurses say this is part of recovery.

Hopefully things get better in the next days, weeks, months.

Ironically, my back, where the incision is, hurts but the pain is minimal.

Do I regret the surgery? No. I had no choice. Just hoping this doesn't lead into more.

Just thought I would update the thread.

Hopefully next update will be positive

mjg

Hopefully it continues to improve for you.  They really can do amazing stuff with spinal surgery these days.  Best wishes for the recovery.

peAk

Long story short, reherniated my disc day after surgery. It's uncommon but it happens, been bedridden ever since

Officially on short term disability until things improve

Going into surgery again tomorrow

Ugh.....

peAk

Back from the dead, guys.

Definitely went to Hell and back. Just in case anyone is interested, this is what they cut out of me. This was the second herniation that happened the day after surgery for the first one.

I am almost 9 weeks out from the second surgery and doing well. Out of all pain and the feeling/numbness came back to my feet here recently.

Now its just doing my best to not herniate a 3rd time. Ugh.....the anxiety will kill you.

jwin615

Hope recovery is going well peak
That's a pretty good bud. Take it easy and *think before you lift*
Your discs don't look terrible though, lots of meat left. Take care of them and good luck.

TNblueshawk

Hey Peak, hope you are progressing. I've not had back surgery but in my profession, work comp related, I've paid for hundreds, talked to many people nurses included, read hundreds of MRI's including my own, read many articles etc... I guess I have second hand experience other than my own 30 year history of back pain. Anyone with 1 herniated disc, assuming said herniation is pressing on the spinal cord, rarely gets out of it without some kind of back surgery. Four? Holy moly dude no question you had no choice.

That xray you show, man that disc came out to party as that is one pretty good indentation. Did you get a fusion? How many levels and what levels?

If you don't care to travel down that historical path, no problem. I totally understand. Had I been on here last year I certainly would have chimed in.
John

peAk

Quote from: TNblueshawk on February 11, 2023, 08:02:33 AM
Hey Peak, hope you are progressing. I've not had back surgery but in my profession, work comp related, I've paid for hundreds, talked to many people nurses included, read hundreds of MRI's including my own, read many articles etc... I guess I have second hand experience other than my own 30 year history of back pain. Anyone with 1 herniated disc, assuming said herniation is pressing on the spinal cord, rarely gets out of it without some kind of back surgery. Four? Holy moly dude no question you had no choice.

That xray you show, man that disc came out to party as that is one pretty good indentation. Did you get a fusion? How many levels and what levels?

If you don't care to travel down that historical path, no problem. I totally understand. Had I been on here last year I certainly would have chimed in.

Hey John,

All good, no worries. I am open about the whole thing. First and foremost, I am doing great. I did not have a fusion yet but if L4/L5 herniates again, I will definitely have to have a fusion. The first surgery was a laminectomy & discectomy where they cut some of the spinal bone so they can get to the protruded disc. Then they cut the disc. Since the same disc reherniated again right after surgery, they were able to go back in and just do the discectomy since the opening in the bone was already done.

I'm a little over three months out and doing pretty well. I still get some sciatica tingles in my leg when I am laying down but its not too big of a deal. My back starts to ache when I do too much around the house but thats expected. I think my L5/S1 causes some of that as well. Hoping with proper back mechanics and really listening to my spine, I can avoid too much more deterioration of my back. If I am being honest, with all the research I have done on it, my confidence is low that this is over. I think for anyone that has gone through this before, even after surgery when you are feeling great, the anxiety of it happening again is absolutely killer.

I'm keeping weight down, don't smoke/drink, and trying to be active as can be without being stupid (deadlifts...ha!). I also try to limit my sitting as much as humanly possible.