News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Well, it's not a pedal but....

Started by TNblueshawk, December 28, 2011, 11:25:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNblueshawk

it is my first cab build and one of many to come. Many flaws, learned a ton for the next one. I guess I'll give myself a C+. Had a buddy help me resaw and glue up out of the gate, but after that it was pretty much my build thus the flaws. If you want to know what not to do just PM me  

Plan to match this little 10" speaker up with a Champ build. Right now I don't have anyway to test it out  I have a Weber DT-10 for some early speaker break-up...I hope at lower volumes for home. The wood is Purple Heart wood. Mitered the joints and routed. Found out my router skills need some work   ::) But, you have to start somewhere right.

My pedal builds were on hold until I got this done. Now on to pedals and a Champ amp build.

This was the wood when I got it

Shaping up before the urethane

Finished

John

jimmybjj

Pcbs no longer available

thetrend77

djaaz

What kind of wood is it? Looks like purpleheart?

TNblueshawk

Quote from: djaaz on December 28, 2011, 11:45:49 AM
What kind of wood is it? Looks like purpleheart?

Right on. I had a choice of several and I just thought what the heck, I don't hear too many people talk about this wood much so I went for it. In hindsight, doing your first cab build with exotic wood is not really a genius move, I guess in foresight to as I knew that up front, but I thought WTF...go for it. I had a friend to lean on as I went along but you know how it is. Unless you grab the router or whatever tool you need yourself, someone talking to you only goes so far.

And thanks for the props fellas.
John

djaaz

If i remember correctly, Purpleheat is incredibly heavy and very difficult to work with?
Must have been a very difficult build.
The color will be darker as time goes as well.

LaceSensor

For a what not to do that looks sterling
Great work

slimtriggers

Looks great to me!

How did you arrive at the dimensions?  Was this your own design?

nzCdog

Nice cab... looks nice and deep
Happy with the sound?

TNblueshawk

First thanks for the comps again. You know how it is when you are the one doing it, you know all the flaws/mistakes and things you will do better. I tried not take pics of those  :P

The design was just me winging it once a forum buddy gave me the basic size of what he would do. He sort of helped me get off the ground and I went with it. I did some research on line of course but I'm not very good at reading others blue prints  ::) I wanted open back as I'm sort of used to playing those.

And, I have no idea how it sounds  :'( I don't have an amp head to try it out...which I might add is killing me. But GOOD NEWS...I orderd a Champ amp kit yesterday so maybe in a month I'll find out. The speaker was one from Weber that breaks up early, so I'm told. I am trying to create a bedroom hacker tube saturation thingy without going deaf or at least totally deaf. It may sound like butt and if it does I'll build another cab/speaker !! It's only money right  :o

As far as working with the wood, I have not worked with any other exotic wood, but comparing it to the "normal" woods, yes sort of. It is very hard so you need a sharp blade on the table saw. The dust was very fine, I should have worn a mask for sure, lesson #34. And can I just say you would get splinters just looking at the thing. Had to be very careful handling it. Having said that, it was nothing that caused any problems per se. Certainly routing it you could feel and hear that router trying to get through which led to some burn marks. But, like they say if you screw up, call it art  :P and I sort of like the darker burn marks on the edges for this wood. 

I have one plank left that I plan to build an enclosure around the Champ amp head so I get to work with it again. Hopefully I learned something!
John

djaaz

Purpleheart is definitely not the easy way.
It's as dense as ebony. Above 1. Meaning that it is so heavy it does not float on water.

I don't know much about how wood effect cabs. I can just say that this wood can be used to build guitar fretboard or nice slim top. In that case treble & high frequencies are very present.
In a cab, though, it's a complete different story.

I would not recommend you to build another one with the same wood. Any kind of mahogany will feel like butter to you after purpleheart.

I used it once to build a small table for my daughter:

TNblueshawk

Cool table.

I don't plan to build 2 cabs with the same wood anyway. Looking for diversity. But, I'll sure find out how it sounds. If too bright/chimey then I'll darken it up with some pedals or tweak an amp, pop a dark speaker in there etc...

If it just totally sucks and I can't get anything that I want, I'll pull the speaker and use the cab as a beer holder  ;D
John