News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aion Blueshift

Started by Thewintersoldier, January 02, 2023, 11:16:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

Yeah, I know...I can hear the collective moan as eyes roll in the back of their heads, Chris is posting another build reports of a stupid pedal that no one cares about with another stupid marvel character and a long boring write up. Happy New Year everyone 😂.

This is my second blueshift build. I took what I learned from the last one I did nearly 3 years ago and tried to do it it better. I put more time and effort into getting this one cleaner and with better attention to detail. If you are going to build this then take your time, check every part before soldering and please follow the build doc. I would not want to have to troubleshoot this. I didn't do my standard all white wiring because there are way to many wires for that here. I tried to keep everything as clean with regards to the wiring as possible. By color coding everything the way I did, I made it easier for future Chris should he need to replace the footswitch or make repairs in the future.

It's not the cheapest build. It's probably gonna be around 100 bucks to build. Still cheaper than a used unit. It's also a fully stereo analog chorus, which is really rare in diy. The stereo spread in this is something special. What makes this different from other analog chorus pedals? The build doc breaks it down great. "The DC-2 is different from other choruses in that there are actually two clock+BBD pairs, each powered by either the inverted or non-inverted output of a single LFO. These BBDs then modulate the dry signal so that signal "A" reaches its maximum delay time when signal "B" reaches its minimum and vice versa as they criss-cross back and forth. The average remains constant between the two signals and only the space between the two signals is modulated. The DC-2's effect is often referred to as motionless because it doesn't have the signature "warble" or unsteadiness of a traditional chorus with a single BBD."

Unlike the original that had just 4 radio buttons, using 3 switches, we now have 7 possible presets instead of 4. How's it sound? AMAZING! It's the often described as the chorus for people who don't like chorus. It's hard to describe it without being cliche. You really have to be in front of it to appreciate how great it sounds, especially in stereo. If you like stereo chorus then you should definitely build this. With only 7 sounds possible, none of the sounds are bad, just less or more of a great thing. Calibration is easy with a scope or just by setting setting the voltage of the test points for each BBD to 3.4v.

You may notice I don't have the mounting screw on the front. I went a different route to free up the enclosure face for my graphics. Instead of the screw thru the face, I used a jb weld stick to attach the hex standoff to the enclosure. I didn't get a picture because after it cured I didn't take it apart and decided to start wiring everything. I really wanted a light violet color box but tayda has been out of that color for a long time and I went with violet. For the graphics I went with America Chavez, the dimension hopping hero who punches star shaped portals. If you're still here then I hope you enjoyed the write up and pictures. It's a great project for many reasons and a really inspiring effect.

Who the hell is Bucky?

harryklippton

That's just incredibly clean

EBK

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on January 02, 2023, 11:16:16 AM
This is my second blueshift build. I took what I learned from the last one I did nearly 3 years ago and tried to do it it better.
My god, man!  The Blueshift is a rite-of-passage build!  You are only supposed to build ONE in a lifetime!   :P

Nice work though.  ;D
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

jessenator

Nicely done! I just checked out the build doc and, yeah, this one's in the queue, but maybe next year when I'm better at this ;D

And yes, that's immaculately clean. Did you ultrasonic the boards? Even still, it's like factory solder bath levels of clean and even. Hot damn.

jjjimi84

Good Lord my man! Very nice work!

jimilee

Jeeeesus!!! I need to build mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

zombie_rock123

Not only is it an amazing build but those switch nuts man  8)
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: harryklippton on January 02, 2023, 11:25:44 AM
That's just incredibly clean
Thanks Will, it's not amp level though😕

Quote from: EBK on January 02, 2023, 12:10:58 PM
Quote from: Thewintersoldier on January 02, 2023, 11:16:16 AM
This is my second blueshift build. I took what I learned from the last one I did nearly 3 years ago and tried to do it it better.
My god, man!  The Blueshift is a rite-of-passage build!  You are only supposed to build ONE in a lifetime!   :P

Nice work though.  ;D
I was never happy with the way the first one turned out. Sometimes you gotta just do it right I guess.

Quote from: jessenator on January 02, 2023, 12:58:19 PM
Nicely done! I just checked out the build doc and, yeah, this one's in the queue, but maybe next year when I'm better at this ;D

And yes, that's immaculately clean. Did you ultrasonic the boards? Even still, it's like factory solder bath levels of clean and even. Hot damn.

Thanks for noticing the boards. I don't get a lot of flux everywhere, so cleaning doesn't take much effort.

Quote from: jjjimi84 on January 02, 2023, 01:02:31 PM
Good Lord my man! Very nice work!
Thanks Dan, one day you will finish yours! I know you have an enclosure 😂.

Quote from: jimilee on January 02, 2023, 01:05:47 PM
Jeeeesus!!! I need to build mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Jimi

Quote from: zombie_rock123 on January 02, 2023, 02:29:31 PM
Not only is it an amazing build but those switch nuts man  8)

You know I had to line them all up to match lol
Who the hell is Bucky?

Phil Hodson

Wow that is truly stunning. I followed you first build almost word for word whe. I built mine. This one makes me feel like I want to do it again, but like you even better.
Thanks for keeping me pushing myself to learn and work harder and better and strive for the best.

gordo

I always enjoy reading and seeing your builds Chris, I just can't figure out how you keep outdoing yourself!

I built one for a buddy of mine and was really impressed so built one for me.  I've never tried it in stereo so really need to bust it out and hook it up that way.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Invertiguy

Damn, that is clean. Your wiring looks my Blueshift look amateurish by comparison, and your graphics are top-notch as always. Fantastic work!
Doomsday Devices

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: Phil Hodson on January 02, 2023, 07:16:51 PM
Wow that is truly stunning. I followed you first build almost word for word whe. I built mine. This one makes me feel like I want to do it again, but like you even better.
Thanks for keeping me pushing myself to learn and work harder and better and strive for the best.

Thanks for that Phil, I needed that. I think a lot of people don't have the right perspective in many hobbies (including this one) and I look at it like you. I appreciate people trying to be the best version of themselves and and makes me want to do better. I'm in competion with myself and that's it. Keep pushing yourself, real gains are made in small steps and not leaps. like @paradox916 says, it's a game of inches.

Quote from: gordo on January 02, 2023, 07:39:06 PM
I always enjoy reading and seeing your builds Chris, I just can't figure out how you keep outdoing yourself!

I built one for a buddy of mine and was really impressed so built one for me.  I've never tried it in stereo so really need to bust it out and hook it up that way.

Thanks Gordy, but I take all the pictures from the pedals "good" side lol. I was telling @harryklippton that no build is hard, it's just how much does a person try not to make it bad. you can quote me on that haha

Quote from: Invertiguy on January 03, 2023, 02:48:21 AM
Damn, that is clean. Your wiring looks my Blueshift look amateurish by comparison, and your graphics are top-notch as always. Fantastic work!
Thanks, this graphic is actually a turning point for me as I learned some new Illustrator tricks and techniques and pieced numerous pieces together to make the main image. kind of a game changer for me, but I still love simplistic designs the best.
Who the hell is Bucky?

blackhatboojum

Hot damn man!  You crush it with all of your builds but, you outdid yourself with this one! 
The kind of guy who sticks a fork in his Dr. Pepper... If you know what I mean.

Thewintersoldier

Thanks dude, but there is still more cool shit to share
Who the hell is Bucky?

Bio77

Always enjoy seeing a WS build report in the morning, great start to the day! 

Really strong work, Chris. It's immaculate.