News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

EgoDeath build

Started by gordo, January 13, 2023, 05:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dawson

Quote from: gordo on January 16, 2023, 01:39:12 AM
You know, one of those things that has always alluded me is the "indicator around the knob" of any sort.  I always manage to screw that up and this time because the laser was being centered around divots I'd created from the drill guide (I spent time landing the laser locator on each of the drill points) it gave me a fighting chance.  I did the burn and realized that a couple of the pots were a bit off so it gave me a chance to redo the pilot holes (typically 1/16 inch) and then manipulate the pots to fit the holes.  Nothing drastic that required any resoldering but just moving them enough that the knobs lined up.  This is a bit of an epiphany.

When I do water-slide decals I ultimately throw in the towel and go "eh...close enough" but then it always bugs me.  Both the fact that I've given up so easily and the fact that I have to look at it.  This process really holds my feet to the fire and I'm happy with the result.

Looks good to me!
The trick I learned is adding center-marks for holes in my designs and applying graphics before drilling- that way my knobs always line-up with the graphics, even if the graphics are slightly skewed.
*not sure if that's possible in the waterslide workflow but works great for acid etching.
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

jimilee

Quote from: dawson on January 16, 2023, 02:09:45 AM
Quote from: gordo on January 16, 2023, 01:39:12 AM
You know, one of those things that has always alluded me is the "indicator around the knob" of any sort.  I always manage to screw that up and this time because the laser was being centered around divots I'd created from the drill guide (I spent time landing the laser locator on each of the drill points) it gave me a fighting chance.  I did the burn and realized that a couple of the pots were a bit off so it gave me a chance to redo the pilot holes (typically 1/16 inch) and then manipulate the pots to fit the holes.  Nothing drastic that required any resoldering but just moving them enough that the knobs lined up.  This is a bit of an epiphany.

When I do water-slide decals I ultimately throw in the towel and go "eh...close enough" but then it always bugs me.  Both the fact that I've given up so easily and the fact that I have to look at it.  This process really holds my feet to the fire and I'm happy with the result.

Looks good to me!
The trick I learned is adding center-marks for holes in my designs and applying graphics before drilling- that way my knobs always line-up with the graphics, even if the graphics are slightly skewed.
*not sure if that's possible in the waterslide workflow but works great for acid etching.
I print a black and white version of the art after I drill. I think line it up and make adjustments if need be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

gordo

I've tried that with waterslides and some times it works.  Sometimes it grabs the decal and either tears a chunk out or lifts the clear coat enough to knacker up the finish.

I chalk it up to the least favorite part of a build is the finish and graphics...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?