News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Warhead Univibe: DEAD

Started by kinski, December 31, 2011, 04:24:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kinski

So I built the Warhead Univibe and I get nothing as far as I can tell. I turn the pedal on and there is no sound of any kind and the lamp does not even light up.

I have tried a wall wart and my Voodoo Lab Pedal Power. Nothing.

As far as I can tell, all of the parts are oriented correctly.

I only subbed one part. I used a 78L15 in place of the 7815T.

I DO own a multimeter, but I have never really used one to probe a circuit, only to get cap and resistor values. I can give you guys readings but if somebody would be kind enough to let me know where to make contact with the circuit I'd greatly appreciate it.

Its a bummer to make and populate such a big board and have it end up completely dead!

Thanks for the help!

kinski

Nobody?  :'(

I put my multimeter to the 78L15 and all pins came up ZERO. Any help from here?

lloyd17

Well if there is no voltage at the regulator everything from the power jack to that regulator is suspect. Follow the volts starting at the power jack, where do they stop?

madbean

Are you sure you haven't plugged you power into the rectifier section on the PCB? IOW, you have power and ground going to the 18vDC pads, not the AC ones, correct?

0v on all pins of the regulator could also indicate some kind of solder bridge to the grounding plane somewhere.

kinski

Okay, i found a very small break in one of the traces leading to the 78L15. I now get about 16v on the two outer legs of the 78L15 and 0 on the middle one. Still no sound.

kinski

Oh yeah, and I have been using my voodoo lab pedal power which is DC. And yes, I have wired up the DC pads, not the AC pads.

kinski

Okay, made some progress.

I get sound and it does do the univibe thing, however, its not very strong, its quieter than the bypassed sound, and it distorts a tiny bit.

When I switch to the vibrato mode, its distorts a lot and is much quieter.

Any ideas?  ???

the3secondrule

Voltages on all of the transistors would be a good start

Quote from: kinski on January 10, 2012, 08:21:51 PM
Okay, made some progress.

I get sound and it does do the univibe thing, however, its not very strong, its quieter than the bypassed sound, and it distorts a tiny bit.

When I switch to the vibrato mode, its distorts a lot and is much quieter.

Any ideas?  ???
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

kinski

Okay:

Q1     0.9 / 0.9 / 1.8
Q2     1.5 / 1.8 / 4.8
Q3     8.7 / 4.9 / 4.3
Q4     4.4 / 3.9 / 13.2
Q5     3.8 / 4.3 / 9.8
Q6     15.9 / 3.9 / 4.2
Q7     3.3 / 4.0 / 9.8
Q8     13.2 / 0.6 / 0.6
Q9     0.1 / 0.5 / 13.1
Q10   13.5 / 5.2 / 5.5
Q11   15.9 / 2.7 / 5.8
Q12   9.3 / 10.0 / 15.8
Q13   14.8 / 2.2 / 4.3
Q14   9.3 / 1.7 / 3.5

kinski

the3secondrule

I can't help much i'm afraid - I was hoping someone else would chime in once you posted voltages  ;D

Quote from: kinski on January 09, 2012, 05:23:53 PM
Okay, i found a very small break in one of the traces leading to the 78L15. I now get about 16v on the two outer legs of the 78L15 and 0 on the middle one. Still no sound.

you should be getting ~18v on the input leg of the 78L15, 0 on the middle (this pin is ground) and ~15v on the other pin. if you are getting 16v on the two out legs something is not quite right...
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

kinski

the middle leg is a steady 0v.

The two outer legs are constantly changing.

One of the outer legs keeps jumping between 16.6v and 17.3v

The other leg jumps between 13.6v and 15.6v. Could it be that this substitute is not a proper sub?

madbean

Yes, something is wrong with the regulator. It either has a different pin layout or needs to be replaced.

kinski

Alright, thanks. I'll order the proper part with my next parts order. That order will also include the parts for the Weener Wah, and maybe one of your phasers, whenever they get published on your site! Can't wait!

kinski

Where do you buy an LM7815T?

I can't find one anywhere. Even ebay.