News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Current lover 2023 clock frequency

Started by Thewintersoldier, March 19, 2023, 04:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

I'm getting ready to calibrate a 2023 current lover and I'm curious as to what frequency I should set the clock at. It's going to be running at 18v regulated to 15v. Would I do it at 70khz like the DEM or like the v6 EM? Thanks for any insight.
Who the hell is Bucky?

Betty Wont

Calibrating by ear worked just fine for me. You are looking for as much range as you can get without it chirping at the top. It ended up being at about noon on mine.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: Betty Wont on March 20, 2023, 05:38:05 AM
Calibrating by ear worked just fine for me. You are looking for as much range as you can get without it chirping at the top. It ended up being at about noon on mine.
I was just wondering because ever since I got that fancy O-scope I've been using it every chance I get. I'll have to try both and see what it looks like. Iyou know, in the name of science lol
Who the hell is Bucky?

gordo

I'd be curious as well.  Setup was easy but it's like going to the optometrist.  This...or this...this...or this?
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

madbean

I'll check mine tomorrow. I thought I put something in there about that in the doc. Actually, there are a couple small updates I need to do to the doc tomorrow anyway.

Bio77

I don't believe the voltage matters for the delay time. It will just add more headroom. The difference in stages between the original and the 3007 version means you should have the clock around 35kHz not 70kHz.  I always set mine with the DMM but have recently learned that it should be fine tuned by ear from this point to kill chirps at the high end of the sweep. 

Betty always knows  ;D

Bio77

Here's a little write up I did for the old CL for tuning with a scope.  Might need an update, I've learned a few things, since.

1.   Clock Trimmer (Freq Counter):  Set Feedback=0%, Range=100%, Rate=0%, Switch=Filter Matrix (left position).  Measure pin 1 of IC4 with frequency counter.  Turn clock trim pot until freq ~35 ~70 kHz.
2.   Bias Trimmer (O-scope): Set Feedback=0%, Range=100%, Rate=0%, Switch=Filter Matrix (left position).  Place 200 Hz 1V (or ~PU output*) p-p sine wave into input jack of pedal.  Measure pin 7 or 8 of IC2 (MN3007).  Adjust bias trimmer until there is no clipping.  The output waveform will have an amplitude ~1.5 V p-p.
3.   Set T1 (O-scope): Set Feedback=100%, Range=100%, Rate=50%, Switch=Flange (right position).  Turn off signal generator.  Set T1 at full counter clockwise.  Measure signal at output of pedal (tip wire of output jack).  Signal should grow in and out with the clock (will be ~2V p-p at max). Adjust T1 trimmer until signal significantly diminished (barely visible).  There is a sweet spot where the signal will go from ~1V p-p to almost nothing.
4.   Set T1 (Amp): Set Feedback=100%, Range=100%, Rate=50%, Switch=Flange (right position).  Turn off signal generator. With no input, plug pedal into amp.  Turn feedback trimmer clockwise until a horrible high-pitched tone breaks all the windows in your house.  Reduce (turn CCW) until horrible noise subsides.  Don't go to far, you want to be slightly below the horrible noise to have good flanging.
5.   Set Vol (O-scope): Set Feedback=50%, Range=50%, Rate=50%, Switch= Filter Matrix (left position).  Apply 1V p-p sine wave to input jack.  Measure output.  Set vol trimmer until output = 1V p-p.

*This should be set around guitar PU output, mine runs a bit hotter than 1V, setting the bias with 1V input gave me distortion.

gordo

Gordy Power

Thewintersoldier

I remember something Scruffie said about the clock frequency. The original reticon was set at 35khz but since the mn3007 has twice as many stages then the frequency would be doubled. I did the 2015 current lover by ear but did the old chap with a frequency counter. 
Who the hell is Bucky?

Bio77

You are correct.  I remembered the reason but flipped the numbers:

https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=27581.msg267134#msg267134

I'm going to edit the above to keep misinformation at a minimum  ;D

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: Bio77 on March 20, 2023, 06:26:00 PM
You are correct.  I remembered the reason but flipped the numbers:

https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=27581.msg267134#msg267134

I'm going to edit the above to keep misinformation at a minimum  ;D
It's all good John. You posting that in your thread some years back is what led me to the electric mistress mystery page, which is basically what the build doc for the old chap uses for the set up procedure. I'm gonna hit the 70khz and fine tune from there. Thanks for the help again!
Who the hell is Bucky?

gordo

I'm too damn busy these days to get to it but hoping to hit it tonite just to see how close my by-ear tuning got.
Gordy Power

jimilee

I scored the original Brian built. I can feel the price going up. Who will give me 650???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Bio77

Did anybody measure the frequency of their unit? I'm getting 600kHz to over 1MHz  :o

Bio77

Quote from: Bio77 on August 12, 2023, 10:04:54 AM
Did anybody measure the frequency of their unit? I'm getting 600kHz to over 1MHz  :o
Never mind, I had the Range knob at the wrong extreme.  Coffee is working now.....nothing to see here  :-[