News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Trash Compactor

Started by gordo, April 20, 2023, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo

Like vibes, I'm a total sucker for compressors and I've used Bajaman's LA2A board from the Etcher's Paradise on my live board for years.  I like comp as an always on clean sound without it sounding like I'm using anything.  Think Bonnie Raitt or early Ty Tabor (just TRY and draw a line between those two!!).  Trouble is that I get all wound up about a new board and although it sounds bacon on my bench I get it in front of an audience (OK, in my world...congregation) and it sounds pumpy and effecty.  Bummer.  I've also decided that I like the non-effect effect of the comp being optical based.

The light switch went on when I read Brian's description of Jon's Bear Hug.  The bottom end distorts.  I hadn't considered this as an artifact on the LA2A board.  That's my one and only complaint is that the more squish I need the dirtier it gets.  Now, of course, I also ordered a Bear Hug board because: A) it's a compressor, and B) because I love all things Jon.  Having built both now I get what my brain has been missing all along.  Bottom end mud.  And honestly, this isn't a bad thing in many circumstances.  It can give the aural illusion of more volume with a lot of top end clarity.

So I put this thing together and although I'm a few weeks out from getting it to a live situation...I'm cautiously optimistic.

Jimi, hang in there.  I'm getting somewhere with WAY too many words.

I got to hang a few weeks ago with a PedalPCB pal that it turns out lives within a stones throw of me (jhaneyzz - hardcore graphics dude) and we got together for an introduction and a beer.  He's a wizard at all things (go check out his use of marbles as LED front lighting) but does some fascinating etches and I was intrigued with his work.  I built up the TC and when I did the graphics I intended to do an etch and then chickened out.

I had a slime green enclosure that was begging to be used so I did.

Still...James' encouragement haunted me.

So I etched one.  This was done with ferric chloride using the same artwork in reverse.  I opted to do the lettering with waterslide's and I juiced it a bit with some yellow and green alcohol inks.  It's not drilled yet but I think I'll transfer the guts to the new enclosure (disconnect on power makes it a breeze) once I do so.  Still needs a coat of clear to protect the lettering and I'm hoping it will smear the ink a bit.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Thewintersoldier

I like a good comp and was also looking at this. That's a really awesome etch.. looking forward to finding out how it cuts the mustard live. And if you like vibes I got something for you tomorrow.
Who the hell is Bucky?

gordo

Gordy Power

jessenator

Sick! That's some great etch work. I'm actually looking to get me a trash compactor (when the harambe special comes out heheheh). Between this and the bear hug, it's a close call, but I'll be interested to hear this one.

jimilee

I felt a disturbance in the force. That looks fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Aleph Null

That looks really good! Makes me want to order some ferric chloride.

WonkoTheSane

Love the etching, looks awesome.
That which burns twice as bright, burns half as long.

Bio77

The alcohol inks look super cool  8)  Nice one, Gordo!

gordo

Follow up: this has been on my live board for a few weekends and it is THE SHIT.  Seriously, it's knocked the LA2A of the board.  What I like about this little beast, aside from the fact that it's bonehead simple (and very simple to setup the trimmers) is that it's REALLY quiet and you can pummel the front of it and it won't cave in.  It is, for the most part, always on and for anyone listening they wouldn't know I was using a compressor unless I turned it off.

I put a graphic EQ in front of it to get a prettier top end when I need it and take the lows out to clean up my usual edge of breakup sound.  The cool part of running the EQ out front is that the comp will level off the volume difference and I don't have to worry about a balancing act.  Over the years I've reduced my pedal footprint (what!!??) to the EQ and comp in the front of a 6505 clean/crunch and then modulation, delay, and reverb in the loop.  Nice and simple and the bulk of the tonal changes are limited to the volume knob on the guitar (which is almost always the Yamaha Ty Tabor since I got it).
Gordy Power

jimilee

Nice, I do love me some compression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.