News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Vers-HF-2 flanger

Started by Thewintersoldier, May 08, 2023, 12:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

Let's hack a fraudhacker, shall we? Higher, further, faster baby! 🫡. The Elusive HF-2, the high band flanger has been on my radar for a long time but it wasn't until recently that I decided to take the deep dive into the circuit with my accomplice and partner in crime @blackhatboojum that this started to come into focus. Clinton is the best of bad influences and the only one who appreciates my modulation musings and I wouldn't have done this without my BBD brother from another mother🥰

So what is the hf-2? If the bf-2 is Miller then the hf-2 is Miller lite. The hf-2 is also basically the bf-2b. Boss is not one to waste and will build multiple pedals on the same board. There are only a few resistor changes between the stock circuit and the hf-2 (no drawn schematic exists of the bf-2b to confirm every value) but the main difference is the MN3204 BBD chip. The MN3204 has half the delay stages of the MN3207, which in turn shifts the frequencies of the modulated signal up one octave. The result is a slightly more subtle flanger that has a slightly sweeter tone that dabbles in DEM territory.

The build was smooth using a fraudhacker board and making the few changes per the boss schematic. Shout out to @Bio77 for shipping me a MN3204 to confirm that everything works while I could find a couple in the wild. I was able to find two more, one for Clinton as well. These are hard to source and many are stupid expensive. There may be another build for a bass board in my future. The calibration is the same as a stock fb-2 and was confirmed by two helpful sources on Instagram who were kind enough to give me clock measurements of their units.

The enclosure is a tayda pastel violet that has a beautiful satin sheen to contrast the gloss UV print. For my design I wanted to pay tribute to the color palette and HF-2 designation and the Higher, Further, Faster (hf-2 😂) phrase made perfect sense and I wanted something bold and colorful so I chose Carol Danvers and her Kree name of Vers. Should you get the chance to build one I highly recommend it. I included two sound clips, the first is a more chorus type setting and the second shows the difference with the stock bf-2 with both pedals having all knobs at noon.

Who the hell is Bucky?

jimilee

Woohoo!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Bio77

Super cool, Chris!  8) 

Would you mind listing all the BF-2/HF-2/bf-2B mods for posterity? 

jessenator

HackHacker! I do like the subtler sound, I have to say.

super inside and out

edit: props for more AiC on the forum in demos  8)

blackhatboojum

Hell yes!  Tight, clean, looks killer, sounds killer, there isn't anything that I don't love about this.  BBD brothers for life!  I was gonna wait for some potential future releases before I ordered another fraudhacker board but, screw it.  This shit is too good to wait.
The kind of guy who sticks a fork in his Dr. Pepper... If you know what I mean.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: jimilee on May 08, 2023, 03:20:55 PM
Woohoo!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Jimi

Quote from: Bio77 on May 08, 2023, 04:03:44 PM
Super cool, Chris!  8) 

Would you mind listing all the BF-2/HF-2/bf-2B mods for posterity? 
Thanks John, you are instrumental in this. Why I have no idea what value changes exactly are in the fb-2b, here is what's changed on the HF-2 on the fraudhacker board:
R33:22k
R46:100k
Clock Trimmer: 1M
And of course, the MN3204. That's it 4 things. Now build it! 😂

Quote from: jessenator on May 08, 2023, 04:18:34 PM
HackHacker! I do like the subtler sound, I have to say.

super inside and out

edit: props for more AiC on the forum in demos  8)

Thanks Christian, AIC was a very important part of my formative years.

Quote from: blackhatboojum on May 08, 2023, 06:11:33 PM
Hell yes!  Tight, clean, looks killer, sounds killer, there isn't anything that I don't love about this.  BBD brothers for life!  I was gonna wait for some potential future releases before I ordered another fraudhacker board but, screw it.  This shit is too good to wait.

YES! Can't wait to see it!
Who the hell is Bucky?

Bio77

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on May 08, 2023, 11:43:01 PM
Thanks John, you are instrumental in this. Why I have no idea what value changes exactly are in the fb-2b, here is what's changed on the HF-2 on the fraudhacker board:
R33:22k
R46:100k
Clock Trimmer: 1M
And of course, the MN3204. That's it 4 things. Now build it! 😂
Hey Chris, what is the change on the clock about (R46 and Clock Trim)?  I didn't think you needed to change the clock freq since the 3204 has half the stages.

Bret608

I appreciate the comparison vid--I'd say I have a preference for the HF-2 between the two.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: Bret608 on May 22, 2023, 08:24:08 PM
I appreciate the comparison vid--I'd say I have a preference for the HF-2 between the two.
Thanks. I think sometimes a sound clip really helps show the difference. Here I think describing it is one thing but being able to demonstrate with clean and dirty tones makes it obvious that the hf-2 is coke zero to the bf-2's classic coca cola
Who the hell is Bucky?