News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

More low end to Chunk Chunk

Started by jase, January 19, 2012, 09:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jase

Hi everyone/anyone, is there a way to get some more bass out of this pedal.
I love the way it sounds, it just needs more Ooomph to my ears.

Cheers

nzCdog

Had a fiddle with a tonestack calculator... You could try a lower value for C12... try 100n.  (Even down to 22n)  Let us know if that works!

jase

Cheers, I'll try that when I get some time. I like the  tone of the pedal and it's very articulate.
I tune very low ( A# Standard ) and don't won't to compromise the definitiion, a lot of pedals just sound muddy
but the chunk is nice, just needs a little kick in the butt is all!

jase

Is there a way to switch between several different values, like stock and two others?
How would I wire a switch for this, and could someone do a sketch so my simple mind can wrap itself
around it!
Many thanks in advance for any help.

Jase

Scruffie

On (Off) On DPDT (you can use an SPDT but this is probably easier for me to explain).

Middle 2 lugs, stick wires to your board with the lowest value cap you intend to use.

Other 2 sides stick whatever caps you want to add in parallel with it so say in the middle you have... 22nF, one side you could have 33nF for a combined value of 55nF and the other side a 100nF for 122nF.

Make sense?
Works at Lectric-FX

jase

I'm a bit confused still, any chance of a diagram?
Sorry for being so daft....

nzCdog

Scruffie's idea is cool... you should hopefully get 3 bass response options from 'stock' to 'thunder' if you wired it like this...  Let us know if this works  :)

*edit: you can experiment with capacitor values, these are my suggestions*

jase

Brilliant! Thanks for the clarification, your diagram was just what I needed.

jase

Should it replace C11? That one seems to line up to the bass pot more....

nzCdog

C12  :)

jase

Ok, I've ordered the parts. I'll let you know how it goes when I've got it installed.
Thanks again for all he help.

nzCdog

looking forward to hear how you got along :)

Thomas_H

Hi, I just happened to build a chunk chunk as well and trying it out I was also missing some low end.

I just tried the mentioned mod and just wanted to tell that it works great !

I was using  the switch with the following values: (because thats what I had lying around  ;)) )
168n
33n
47n

I also think that you could lower it down to 22nF - but thats a matter of taste anyhow.
I was very impressed by the fact that if did not harm the overall sound of the pedal.

Now looking to put it in a nice enclosure.
DIY-PCBs and projects:

nzCdog

Cool... thanks for the feedback Thomas!
Make sure you post a build report when you get done 8)

Bored

Quote from: Thomas_H on January 29, 2012, 03:52:36 AM
Hi, I just happened to build a chunk chunk as well and trying it out I was also missing some low end.

I just tried the mentioned mod and just wanted to tell that it works great !

I was using  the switch with the following values: (because thats what I had lying around  ;)) )
168n
33n
47n

I also think that you could lower it down to 22nF - but thats a matter of taste anyhow.
I was very impressed by the fact that if did not harm the overall sound of the pedal.

Now looking to put it in a nice enclosure.

Was it cap 11 (feeds 2 of the Bass pot lugs) or the above mentioned C12 (feeding the center lug of the Mid pot)