News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

V-type Bass Preamp

Started by sam_c, January 31, 2012, 12:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sam_c

I hadn't even noticed this section of the forum before!  which is why I actually emailed this request directly to Brain originally  :-[  sorry dude!   I'll paste my original request below...I'm a complete noob, so this may be an unrealistic project or simply just not worth doing. 

I remember a while back you said it would be nice to have some more bass specific circuits on the projects page and I wondered if you could maybe make a pedal version of the Trace Elliot V-type bass preamp?  I believe the design was adapted from the Alembic FX1 bass preamp, which was also a derivative of the fender bassman/showman preamp.  I can definitely vouch for how good the circuit sounds, much better than a sansamp bass DI (which I also have) and as an amp head its one of the best I have ever tried... and I've been through quite a few.

I have got the original schematic and tech's handbook (attached) of the rackmount preamp version of the unit which gives a good breakdown of the circuit but I'm still very much a noob and wouldn't know where to begin in terms of vero, eagle or anything that would let me make it into a pedal.  There is also the issue of it using 2x12ax7's, but I know you have been experimenting with the sub-mini valves lately.

I thought it might be worth dropping you an email to bring it to your attention, as it could make a really useful bass preamp pedal that could be carried around in a gig bag.

best regards,

Sam

here is the pdf tech booklet...
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7285894/V-Type%20Pre-Amp.pdf

and a pic of the rackmount unit