News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New Amp Purchase looming - Input anyone?

Started by GermanCdn, February 15, 2012, 11:08:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GermanCdn

Looking to buy a new amp, and would appreciate some feedback on the choices.  To put it in perspective, my current amp crop includes a Mesa Boogie DC-5 50 watt combo (loud, covered in more loudness, with a pristine clean channel, dirty I've never been sold on, although a trip to the amp doctor might fit that), a Traynor YYG-20 20 watt combo (great with pedals), a Peavey Vypyr 30 (why I bought it, I don't know, but it's still there), and an old Vox Valvetronix 20 watt unit (my go to practice amp). 

I'm looking at buying a multichannel micro head, with a fair degree of versatility (i.e. Fender cleans, Marshall Crunch, Hi-gain not so important), so I'm thinking of the following

Carvin V3M - seems to be the most versatile head out there, three channels, built in reverb, fx loop, variable output, all good.  Downside is I can't sit down and test it out before committing to it, although I could always return it.

Mesa Boogie Transatlantic - similar to above, bigger price tag

EVH 5150 50 watt head - because Eddie is god, and my playing will become infintessimally better if I own a 5150.  No, wait, I'll still suck, I'll just suck louder.

Egnater Tweaker - worst amp name ever, but moderately versatile

Not really looking for a one trick pony, so the Tiny Terror's out, not really crazy about the Nighttrains.

As far as cabs go, I'll probably end up with a 212 or a 412.

Anyone have any of these, and if so, what's been your experience.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Matt Gnarly

I found the Tweaker to be a bit lacking when I tried it, I wanted to like it but it really didn't do much for me. I have yet to try the Carvin so I can't really comment on it. The Transatlantic is pretty cool, quite versatile, it would be my second pick from your list. And finally the 5153 would be my first choice, I just sold my 6505 to pay for a cab for my new Mesa but down the road would love to get a 5150 III for higain stuff, I know Darkest Hour are using them (the 100 watt) and in my opinion the EVH 5150 III sounds better than the old Peaveys. As for cab what are you thinking? I'm looking for a used recto 2x12 but will likely get a custom cab from Whitebox, I've heard great things about them.

pryde

I play through a Tweaker 40 head and Eminence Wizard 1x12 cab. I think the Tweaker is a very good amp and you should be able to find at least a few inspiring, good tones out of it.

Pros: Egnater seams to be a good company, I have had many e-mails with Bruce himself and he backs his products and is responsive. The amp is super versitile as said already. Not sure about the 15w but the 40w takes pedals very well and has 2 separate channels. EVERYONE compliments the tone when they here it.

Cons: Overall I personally find it a bit dark. I would like all the voicings (USA, AC,BRIT) to all have a bit more high-end sparkle. The amp is made in Korea if that matters to you. There are A LOT of gizmos/knobs to mess with. This could be good or bad depending on what you are after.

I think you should definetely try one out if you can. Good luck.

ckim715

I'd say either the Tweaker or Egnator Rebel 20
-Charlie

Haberdasher

I have the egnater 15 head and 112 cab and I think it sounds great.  I bought it because it sounds good at bedroom volume and it loves pedals.  I tried some other speakers with it but the heritage in the egnater cab sounded the best.

I really like the Marshall and Fender tone stacks on this thing.  The vox is just ok.  It's not bad, I just like the other 2 better.  You could probably get more convincing tones out of it if you used an alnico speaker.

The other very cool thing is that it's cathode bias so you can swap tube tubes without re-biasing.  6v6, 6l6, 5881, el34, etc.

Anyway, it is a very good sounding amp for the $.  If you were a guy who just wanted to plug straight into the amp and play I'd look at something else.  But like I said, for pedals it's great.  I never use the hot channel on mine.  I just stomp on stuff and good things happen.

That Carvin looks very interesting.  I was kind of looking at it too, but I never got to play one.

Sorry for rambling.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

pryde

"I really like the Marshall and Fender tone stacks on this thing.  The vox is just ok.  It's not bad, I just like the other 2 better"

I agree with Haber, My main clean is the Fender (USA) voicing and use stomps for my gritty-goodness. However, the amp can also produce some great dirt as well.

jubal81

I ordered the Tweaker 15 the week it was first released and I've been playing it every day since. For the money, I just don't see how you can beat it and I have to agree with the other guys on the tone.

It retails for $399 and I think it's the best option unless you want to break the $1,000 mark. The great thing about its versatility, IMHO, isn't getting a bunch of different sounds, but making it so anyone who buys it can get a sound they like.

For instance, unlike the other guys, my tone stack switch stays on the VOX setting.

So, for the small price, there's a very good chance you'll be able to dial in something close to what you're looking for.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Comfort Player

Another Egnater Rebel 20 user here and the post above have that covered.

I also have a Blackstar HT 20 - 2 channels, good cleans and decent dirt.  Takes pedals well and can hold its own from bedroom volumes up to "turn that sh*t down" levels.   

Check one out if you can..
Silence..... I Keeeeeel youuuuuu....

sgmezei

I dig the Egnater stuff for sure but the Mesa blew me away when I tried it. Definetly my favourite of the mentioned, except for the Carvin. I have yet to try that bad boy.

I think you should build one. You could for the price you would pay at a store. Check out Weber if you haven't yet.

GermanCdn

Building one is definitely in the cards, either a Marshall 18W clone or a Fender 5E3.  The desire to purchase is driven partially by the fact that I've accumulated enough air miles over the past year to get about $800 in Long and McQuade gift cards, and as such, makes a Transatlantic (or a Mini Rectifier, which I didn't think of before) really a $200 purchase.  Or an Egnater and a Marshall Class 5.

I've actually pretty much ruled out the V3M, not for features, but because of the shipping costs from Carvin.  By the time you add the $120 for shipping plus GST and brokerage for crossing into Canada, it's the same price as a TA15, Mini Rect, or 5150 III, and it's untested at the door.

I'll take a look into the Rebel 20 as well.  Not sold on Egnater, but truthfully, haven't tried them out.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Matt Gnarly

Quote from: GermanCdn on February 15, 2012, 10:08:15 PM
Building one is definitely in the cards, either a Marshall 18W clone or a Fender 5E3.  The desire to purchase is driven partially by the fact that I've accumulated enough air miles over the past year to get about $800 in Long and McQuade gift cards, and as such, makes a Transatlantic (or a Mini Rectifier, which I didn't think of before) really a $200 purchase.  Or an Egnater and a Marshall Class 5.

I've actually pretty much ruled out the V3M, not for features, but because of the shipping costs from Carvin.  By the time you add the $120 for shipping plus GST and brokerage for crossing into Canada, it's the same price as a TA15, Mini Rect, or 5150 III, and it's untested at the door.

I'll take a look into the Rebel 20 as well.  Not sold on Egnater, but truthfully, haven't tried them out.

If you're thinking about building an amp check out Trinity amps, they have a nice looking 5E3 build and a AC-15ish build too, if/when I have some spare cash that's the route I'll likely take. Or the 5150 III. Or both haha. 

timbo_93631

The trinity Triwatt is a heck of an amp too.  Just a great design.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

pickdropper

A friend of mine has the Mesa TA-15 and it is a great little amp.  He uses it mainly to cop AC30 tones, but it is quite flexible. 

Building an amp is cool, too.  I am also planning on doing an 18w Marshall and a 5E3 Fender as soon as I decide that pedal building doesn't have a high enough probability of electrocution. ;D
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

GermanCdn

Building an amp is cool, too.  I am also planning on doing an 18w Marshall and a 5E3 Fender as soon as I decide that pedal building doesn't have a high enough probability of electrocution. ;D
[/quote]

Hahahahaha, that's actually the same thing that's holding me back.

bigmufffuzzwizz

As far as the 5150 goes are you looking for something new specifically? Have you ever heard of any of the amps from the series right before 5150? Like Peavey Butcher, Mace or VTM-120? You can grab any of those 3 of Craigslist pretty regularly for 200-300 bucks.
I recently aquired a VTM-120 which is a hot rodded clone of a JCM800! I got it for 200 dollars and its freaking heavy duty!! A whole interactive EQ in the front section..check them out on youtube. That's if you want a high gain head and want to save!!  ;)
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals