News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Metal vs carbon composition resistors

Started by bs_ane, February 20, 2012, 10:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bs_ane

It is true that carbon composition has better and vintage sound??
Which resistors has better results?
Why carbon comp has higher price?

jkokura

Do you mean carbon comp or carbon film? They are not the same in my experience.

There are three major types of resistors used in pedal building: metal film, carbon film, and carbon comp.

Metal film has the smallest tolerance and lowest noise.

Carbon comp is the largest tolerance and highest noise.

Carbon film is in the middle and is cheapest.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

bs_ane

I mean carbon composition.it is true that has vintage sound?
Which is better to a pedal??

gtr2

Some say yes, some say it's snakeoil.  It's an ongoing battle.  I only use carbon comp when going for a "vintage look"  They are too expensive for me.

I think the argument has more validity in amps depending on where the carbon comps are located in the circuit.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

juansolo

Total snake oil IMO. Didn't stop me from doing the mojo-tastic bender though. Did it purely because it looks cool though, that's the only reason. Cost a bloody fortune (reletively speaking to the packs of 100 resistors I usually get!).
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

madbean

Carbon comps do not sound better at 9v, IMO. They are noisier and have terrible tolerance. That is not to say you shouldn't use them. I use them often for a little mojo or for fun. But, there is no "technical" reason to choose them over carbon film or metal film. And, if you are into building fuzzes that look like vintage pedals, sure, they are cool!

At high voltages, like with an amp, they seem to make more of a difference, so I've read.

bs_ane

You mean that is only for look  not for the tone?to 9v pedals has no better sound than metal?
i want to build BONEYARD and i ask to buying compnents.you think it is better to buy metal or carbon comp?carbon comp is expensive and if it is no better results has no sense to buying.
the same is for the caps?to 9v pedals if i use mustard caps or oil caps has better tone results than mkt or other cheaper?

thanks for your help

juansolo

Essentially more modern components are less noisy and more accurate/consistent. Unless you're going for the mojo look in your pedals, I'd use the modern parts.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

bs_ane

Thanks for the help...
I am thinking if carbon comp has more warm results to the tone and i am thinking to use this resistors in signal path to boneyard and to other places metal

madbean

Quote from: bs_ane on February 21, 2012, 07:48:48 AM
Thanks for the help...
I am thinking if carbon comp has more warm results to the tone and i am thinking to use this resistors in signal path to boneyard and to other places metal

They don't have a warmer sound. That's just some marketing BS you see from some pedal makers. "Warmth" is really just a term used to describe how much treble bleed there is in a given circuit. Too much and the effect is "dark", too little and it's "bright". But, if it's just right it will sound "warm". Whether or not you use carbon film, carbon comp or metal film to get that is of little consideration. Of course, this is just my opinion based only on my own experience.

However, I do urge you not to use carbon comps in a circuit like the "Boneyard". That's actually the worst possible one to use them in because of the ridiculous gain it has. All that gain + carbon comps = way way too much noise. Use metal film.

bs_ane

Thanks madbean..i follow your advice.i dont have your experience....My last question...
To boneyard if i use MAX1044 can i use 9v power supply??

irmcdermott

Quote from: bs_ane on February 21, 2012, 08:30:11 AM
Thanks madbean..i follow your advice.i dont have your experience....My last question...
To boneyard if i use MAX1044 can i use 9v power supply??

Yes. If you are using a MAX1044, use a 9V supply (as it says in the build doc).

bs_ane

THANKS!!!
I finally solve my problem to choosing resistors and parts...

madbean

Quote from: bs_ane on February 21, 2012, 08:59:23 AM
THANKS!!!
I finally solve my problem to choosing resistors and parts...

Great! And, I don't mean to discourage your interest in using carbon comps at all. Of course, use whatever you like. I do think you will be more satisfied NOT using them in this particular project, but there is no reason not to try some out in fuzzes, classic overdrives, or boosters, etc. Very high gain or very complex circuits, however, will tend to bring out the downside with those---lotsa noise.

I tend to think that a circuit that requires noisy parts to sound better is probably not finished being designed, anyway.