News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Superfuzz layout for etching

Started by Bret608, February 29, 2012, 01:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bret608

Hi all,

I am hoping to do a Superfuzz at some point, but am hoping to get an etched PCB rather than a kit. Sounds like Haberdasher can do the work if I can find a good layout!

Has anyone seen or used this layout:

http://ustomp.com/?p=12

Or alternately, have any of you Eagle users created your own?

Someone at Ilovefuzz pointed out to me that there's a layout at univox.org, but there's not much in the way of a BOM or wiring diagram to go along with it, so it looks kind of daunting in comparison to my relative lack of experience.

Thanks!

Bret

bigmufffuzzwizz

That layout should work fine, I originally got linked to that site by someone at FSB who said they successfully built one. Choose any standard style transistors (EBC pinout).
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Bret608

Thanks Magic...Diamond also verified that he knows someone who's built this. It looks like I'll be trying out a Wolfshirt first and will get to this later in the summer, hopefully. Thanks for verifying the pinout that this layout assumes...I thought about trying to get some 2SC828s, but Diamond warned me that they're usually a different pinout. I googled it and, sure enough, they're ECB.

bigmufffuzzwizz

You can always use a little bit of heat shrink so you avoid shorting. Then twist the B and C leads to to standard EBC. That layout is really well put together, it only took a min to identify the orientation of the transistor lead pinout. There's a couple of easy mods you can do to this pedal. I've never been a huge fan of the two options on the toggle switch, one is sooo scooped and the other having tons of mids and being very abrasive. Just replace the switch with something like a 100K linear pot. Then you can dial in-between the two extremes. Also putting a mids scoop pot in the tone stack right before the .1 cap going to GND. That's what I'm doing to my next one!

Foxx Tone Machine (Wolfshirt) is another great circuit, full of fuzzy gain and having tasty octaves. I built the GGG kit and went with the option of changing the octave toggle switch to a footswitch. It was very necessary to my liking, though it kinda means a bigger box.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Bret608

Those are awesome mod ideas! Replacing the switch with a pot reminds me of what Creepy Fingers did with his version of the Superfuzz (the Harakiri). Diamond told me one that will increase lower mids and bass somewhat too: the 2n cap becomes 4n7, and the 1n cap becomes 2n2. I think I got that right anyway! These are mods that the Wattson version has.

I actually plan on doing the Wolfshirt in a bigger box with the octave on a footswitch. I will probably have to ask you about the octave footswitch wiring when the time comes!   :)