News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Animal echoes in my Wizard?

Started by JakeFuzz, March 04, 2012, 07:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JakeFuzz

Getting ready to test this bad boy out. As soon as roomie wakes its is time to make some crying seagull and whale noises! Ill post better pics when I get everything working properly.

JakeFuzz

Hmm doesn't quite work yet. Troubleshooting now.

JakeFuzz

Okay this works semi-wonderfully. So I read the outer lugs on the wah schematic backwards which is annoying.

But first let me describe what this mod actually does now that it is semi working. Someone mentioned a while ago a pedal called the gullmour wah which was a fixed wah. This fixed wah had an interesting feature in that you could flip a switch and swap the input and output jacks (easily accomplished with a DPDT switch) to get that David Gilmour sound on "Echoes" which sounds like seagulls and whales. I figured I could adapt this into an existing wah pretty easily. Furthermore I thought that in this Seagull mode (I will call it seagull mode from now on) I could also make the existing wah pot into an output volume pot so you could do volume swells into your high pitched animal interludes. This requires a switch with a lot of poles to make everything work.

Unfortunately this mod takes advantage of the fact that one of the pot lugs is already connected to ground and because I read the schematics backwards the volume sweeps the wrong direction (heel is full volume). To get this working like a normal volume pedal you need an additional 2 poles (yes that is an 8PDT switch!) to swap the outer two lugs of the sweep pot. This will also make the switch longer than the 6PDT and likely cant be mounted like I have it here. Oh well. If anyone actually wants the corrected version of this mod let me know.