News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

2 effects in one box. How do I have a switch change the order?

Started by tagwap, March 09, 2012, 04:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m-Kresol

A 4PDT switch with a bipolar LED as a indicator which effect goes first should work fine.
I don't see the necessity of connecting this switch to ground (except for the LED). For the Bypass switches which engage the effects (3PDT is fine, or 2PDT if you don't need an LED indicator), you should just connect the left pin(and/or middle, doesn't matter since they are connected) of the lowest row to ground, which connects your effect input to ground when disengaged.
What you absolutely have to do is to properly ground your PCBs as well as your input and output jack!
Hope I could help.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Nate77

I know I'm kind of beating a dead horse here, but I plan in using a 3pdt toggle for order selection so no LED is necessary for order clarity. For an LED indicator, would I use pin 1 of each of the effect footswitches (top left of each footswitch in the diagram) or would I need a 4pdt footswitch?

DutchMF

Yeah, you'll need a 4PDT to have an indicator LED with the order switching. Check out the diagram Chip46 posted on the first page of this thread: as you can see, all 3 poles of the 3PDT are used for the order switching.

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Nate77

Thanks Paul. I saw the diagram that Chip posted (which is the clearest and cleanest order switching diagram I've seem so far!) but as I'm still working my way through exactly how this stuff works (it's great AND handicapping that you can learn how to do before why in the DIY effect community!) an I'm a bit confused about what each connection does on these 3 switches. I typically wire my TB switches a bit differently I THINK but due to the interaction between the 3 switches I'm a bit confused.  I'm looking to use a 3pdt toggle for order switching so no LED is needed, but I need to know what each of the pins do on the 2 effect engage/bypass foot switches so I can adjust my footswitch wiring. The effect in and outs are clear but the typical pins I use for jack in (pin #1), jack out (pin #8), LED (pin #5), seem elusive to me. Also, can I use pin 1 of the effect engage/bypass footswitch for and LED, or do I need a 4pdt for those 2 footswitches? I apologize for my lengthy and fairly ignorant inquiry. Thanks in advance as always. I'm just concerned that my usual footswitch wiring won't jive with this setup.

m-Kresol

Quote from: chip46 on March 09, 2012, 06:52:17 PM
This should do what you need. I've used this very diagram myself and had no problems. Good luck  ;D

Hi Nate, I'll try to explain how this works:

First off, you have two separate engage/bypass switches, one for each effect. The middle switch is for the effect order. I don't know, if you know how a 3PDT switch works so here's a short explanation as well. You have 3 rows (poles --> 3P), each with 3 pins. The centre lug is connected by a mechanical bridge (the switch itself basically) to the top OR bottom lug. These switches are usually ON-ON switches, so they always connect the middle pin to either top or bottom one (called "double throw" -> DT -->3PDT).

The effect bypass switches are connected as depicted in the "general wiring scheme"

If you just have a look at the top left bypass switch now (the right one is exactly the same), you'll see that the left row is empty in the schematic, except for the bottom lug which is connected to ground, which is not indicated in the picture. To hook up an LED indicator, you'll need to directly connect the bottom lug with the centre one (so it's also grounded), and attach the LED to the top lug (watch out for polarity). The other end of the LED is connected to the power source (usually with a resistor in between for brightness adjustment).
So if you have your switch disengaged, the switch connects the centre lugs with the corresponding bottom lugs. This puts your effect input to ground, as well as passing your signal through the switch from the input to the output jack unaltered. Furthermore, the left row with the LED indicator just connects to ground and ground (which are physically bridged anyways).
If you hit the stomp switch, your signal will go through your effects board to the output jack and of course your LED connects 9V to ground, which gives you current and therefore light emission.

Hope I could help you

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol

Nate77

Thank you M, that is exactly what I was after. Ver, very much appreciated.

m-Kresol