News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Darkside

Started by madbean, September 10, 2010, 04:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

Here's my Darkside using the new PCB. I modded it according to this post in the Mods section:http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=355.0 using a 500kC drive pot with a 680pF Silver Mica. Sounds very good, although I think I will also replace the stock 10kA vol pot with 100k. Right now there are 1N60 clipping diodes, which I think I will also replace with BAT41. I socketed those for easy swapping.

The label is etched PCB....very nice alternative to traditional methods :)

Haberdasher

What is that font you always use?  I like it.

edit: beautiful build btw.  Very sharp.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

madbean

It's called "BaddaBoom". It's a free one you can get from The Google.

crashguitar

Cool idea to use etched PCB for the label. I hadn't thought of that. Might have to try that at some point.

gtr2

neat and tidy, but would we expect anything less :D
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

gtr2

O yeah.  How did you did you etch the copper as I would expect the unetched sections to be the fiberglass color instead of black.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

madbean

It's black PCB material. I accidentally bought a batch of double sided stuff. While this can be used to etch single sided boards, it takes a lot longer, so I decided to use it for labeling instead. I've got several more like this one I'm working on.

eniacmike

that looks alot prettier than a pete cornish pedal!
will the copper patina? that would look really cool too.

madbean

Eventually, it will. It's coated with some Brasso which will offer some protection. I do like the Patina look, too. Nice thing about this method is you can easily remove and polish it to make it look brand new again :)

eniacmike

how does this pedal sound? I saw the g2 clips online and it seems like the LONG way to get a dirty sound. It seems like there are alot easier ways to get that sound. I guess it's all the buffers and electronic switching that makes it so complicated?

B_of_H

Quote from: eniacmike on September 14, 2010, 12:34:40 AM
how does this pedal sound? I saw the g2 clips online and it seems like the LONG way to get a dirty sound. It seems like there are alot easier ways to get that sound. I guess it's all the buffers and electronic switching that makes it so complicated?

this is pretty much word for word what I was thinking.  If you go through all this trouble and end up with a pedestrian overdrive sound...that would suck.  I will be happy to give this one a shot if someone says it's worth the effort but it seems like a bunch of extra stuff and i've been a minimalist leaning builder since day 1.  The only pedal i've built that seemed to be worth a bunch of extra parts so far is the sunking, so i'm open minded but cautious at this point.  :)