News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

007 zombii fuzz factory

Started by eniacmike, September 11, 2010, 08:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eniacmike

This was an extremely complicated build the actual circuit is fairly simple and easy to build but I had problems fitting the project into a 1590B enclosure. I used board mounted pots (for the first time) and you have to drill your holes EXACTLY in the right place or it won't line up. Fitting 5 knobs, input and output jacks, a switch, a dc socket, and 9v battery and a circuit board into one enclosure is very tricky. I also had problems with the battery shorting out the circuit by touching the bottom of the pcb. I covered the battery in electrical tape, and mounted it with double-sided foam tape to the enclosure to stop it from moving. I also covered the bottom of the pcb in electrical tape. For the germanium transistors I used vintage old stock american made units from advanced semi. I originally planned on using SINO japanese made units, but they where too tall to fit on the board. The transistors are socketed so they can always be switched out for other units. I used small black knobs (the only size that would fit, and a tiny 3mm red led. The paint is white and the graphics are james bond 007 with 7 bathing beauties.

crashguitar

I agree, fitting everything with one of these is a little tricky. I made a paper template for drilling and tested my layout first. I was pretty happy that mine worked. I left out the battery, though.
How do the Ge's sound? I tried some that I got from Smallbear, but I ended up using some Si BC558's instead.

eniacmike

the ge's sound killer. They don't clean up as well as in a fuzz face circuit at least for me it's harder to dial in that on the edge sound.

I had a good template, I think my drill just walked a little bit up on the stomp switch becuase it was a few mm up from where I wanted it to be.

It inspired me to go buy this guy.

lazer guided. really quiet too. I was actually scared to get a drill press because I thought it would be too loud but it sounds like a microwave running, very quiet. I can drill all night long!

Gledison

Heyy! do u still have the drilling template?
cheers
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

Cortexturizer

LOVING this build :D that graphics goes so well with everything in there, smashing stuff. Bravo sir.
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

pickdropper

That is a nice build.  Great graphics.

Btw, over 1500 views and only a handful of posts?  That's unusual. 
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

slimtriggers

This is great!  I was literally just looking at some Robert McGinnis artwork for a pedal.  Nicely done, man 8)

Sorry I missed this before.

midwayfair

jimilee

Man, I love me some James Bond and some bathing beauties also! Lining up knobs like that is difficult for sure, Next you need to build the six shooter with on board pots in a 1590b! This is July Contest worthy for sure!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Haberdasher

actually this was a build report from 2010 so its eligibility could be brought under some scrutiny. :)

whatever happened to eniacmike anyway?  he used to be pretty active around here when this forum was new.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

midwayfair

Quote from: Haberdasher on July 02, 2013, 07:02:03 PM
actually this was a build report from 2010 so its eligibility could be brought under some scrutiny. :)

Yeah, I just noticed that, too!

Gledison

:o I think that somehow I brought the original post back to life :P .
I posted a question regarding the drilling template of the enclosure!
it seems that the pots holes have to be perfectly done!
if someone has could pliiiiiise share?
cheers
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

Haberdasher

Hey Gledison

I have the older zombii doc on my 'puter here and it looks like there is a template in there.  I'll attach it for you.  I haven't ever used it, so I don't have any info as to its accuracy.  Use at your own risk- and as always- measure twice, cut (drill) once.

Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jimilee

whatever happened to eniacmike anyway?  he used to be pretty active around here when this forum was new.
Rules only specify a month, doesn't say anything about a year. What month was it done?  ;D ooohh September. he will have to wait to enter it unless said rules are changed. :P
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: jimilee on July 02, 2013, 10:20:18 PM

Rules only specify a month, doesn't say anything about a year. What month was it done?  ;D ooohh September. he will have to wait to enter it unless said rules are changed. :P

lol you beat me to it.. I was thinking the same thing when I was catching up on the thread.