News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

multi-bank loophole

Started by Vintageman, March 11, 2012, 12:15:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vintageman

Hey folks, I don´t know if this thing could be possible, but I´m going to throw the idea.

The idea would be to put several loopholes into one stompbox, 4 for ex. in order to create a multi-memory-bank looper.  It could be nice to put 3 footswitches, record, playback, and channel switching (memory switching).  It could be nice to add a device to stop recording and start playing a loop in only one push. (maybe pushing the play button when recording?, I don´t know if this thing could be possible)
I will study the ISD1020AP datasheet.
Thanks.

Vintageman

I´m forgetting...the opposite function could be very usefull as well. To stop playing a loop and start recording a loop in only one push. Or even stop playing one loop and start playing another loop. Could be really interesting. But I don´t know if all of this belongs much more to the science fiction area.  Feel free to tell me something  if you think that I´m talking about nosenses or impossible devices.

thanks crew

jkokura

In truth, I can tell you that this would be a phenominal project, but I would either start looking into DSP and learning to design your own digital looper, or go with an established commercial product already available. I can tell you that for the cost of this project you could easily buy a Boomerang 3, be almost there, and probably save yourself weeks of time.

DIY stompboxes has a great forum dedicated to DSP effects, and I would say that's the place to start. The chip in the loophole is limited to one loop at a time, and only for a short time. I think Brian was working on a way to record, and simultaneously stop the recording and start playback, but that is not a current function. To record multiple loops, you're looking at multiple circuit boards and many, many stomp switches for each circuit board, not to mention that none of the loops will automatically play back when you stop recording at this point in time.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

madbean

Yeah, the complexity of such a thing is going to make it somewhat beyond the reach of regular through-hole DIY. But, I do expect to have some elements of what you are describing in the Loophole2. I plan on expanding it to two independent loops, single record and playback switch for each. I know I can solve that particular problem now. There may be some other tricks too, I just don't know yet.

I guess my point is that we can get close to a versatile and functional looper, but there are going to be certain limitations due to the technology it employs (voice recorders) and the necessity of it being non-SMD (as far as madbeanpedals is concerned).

I expect to start working on it beginning next month, so be sure to keep an eye out for a thread in the "project development blog". There will be an opportunity to provide feedback and suggest features then.

Vintageman

Thankyou all guys!!

I´m afraid that you´re both right. The project that I´m imagining can be too much even for veteran DIYERS, and I´m only a noob trying to improve.

But I´m really happy to know that you´re working in a new version of the loophole, Brian. For sure it´s going to be an awesome device. I will be expecting the thread that you mention (don´t doubt about it, I follow your web and forum every day, hehe)

Thanks jkokura for the advice. I will start reading the DSP forum in diystompboxes. I´m much more an analog person, but it could be usefull for certain matters to know something about digital (loopers for ex.)

Regards folks.

badgerific

Sorry to bump an old thread but I've been having a think about this might have come across something that could be very useful if I can work out one flaw.

I've found this: http://www.velleman.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p507_k8094.html

I'm not 100% if it's possible from looking at the ISD17240 datasheet but if there's a way to make it loop the recording then this would be ideal.