News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Poindexter problem

Started by youngstownguitar, March 12, 2012, 09:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marmaliser

Quote from: jimmybjj on March 20, 2012, 01:44:47 PM
I can't tell but is c11 oriented in the correct direction? This wouldnt affect your bypass it would have a impact on the effected signal.
Good Spot C11 is wrong

youngstownguitar

Yes C11 is reversed according to the PCB but only because the PCB is wrong.
From the PDF:
"There is a small error in the layout of the PCB. C11 needs to be reversed on the diagram 
below. The "+" side should face C12, and the "­" should face the volume control.  "

I will try the continuity test tonight when I have the time.  I think I understand what you guys are saying to try.  I'll report back with results.

Thanks!

marmaliser

Quote from: youngstownguitar on March 20, 2012, 03:41:07 PM
Yes C11 is reversed according to the PCB but only because the PCB is wrong.
From the PDF:
"There is a small error in the layout of the PCB. C11 needs to be reversed on the diagram 
below. The "+" side should face C12, and the "­" should face the volume control.  "
Doh !  :-[ :(

youngstownguitar

Results of continuity test:

With one end of the continuity tester staying on the input tip I tested for continuity at these points:

3PDT lug 1B
3PDT lug 3C
3PDT lug 2C
output jack tip lug

At each of those points there is continuity. 

I then checked for continuity to ground and there is also continuity to ground at each of those same points.  Thats a problem right?

It helps that I actually built one of these before for a friend that works great.  I have it here in front of me now and at the points in the circuit I mentioned there is no continuity to ground.

I dont see what could be the problem tho because they are wired identically.  I have gone over everything multiple times now and I see no difference.

mgwhit

The short to ground is definitely the reason you're not getting any sound.  Look for any point where the signal wire, jack or plug might touch the case or even the back of one of the pots.

You can divide and conquer by retesting for continuity to ground at those same points with the effect engaged.  That should let you know if the short is in your input wiring or your output wiring.

I hate to blame hardware (we've already tried it once here, and look where that got us), but if you are 100% sure that there are no shorts to ground, it could be a bad jack.  Unfortunately, you'd have to unsolder them to find out.

JMart

I know this is an old thread and you've probably found your issue by now. But I was curious as to what you discovered. From my "untrained" eyes, it looks like your output jack is a little close to the back of the pot underneath it, and when a plug is inserted, the tip pole touches the pot forming a short to ground. I've made that mistake before and spent many many hours trying to figure it out! But mainly, I'm in the process of this build and was curious as to what issues people are running into.... Thanks
"It really tied the room together! Did it not?"