News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Birthday Boost: Non Madbean

Started by NF Audio, March 27, 2012, 04:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NF Audio

Well it's my little brothers 21st birthday next week so I built him a boost pedal. The circuit is very simple and based around a JFET transistor. Mediumish input impedance, nothing like SHO so not as much high frequency boost. Volume control is voltage divider after circuit as opposed to biasing the transistor itself. Sounds good. You'll notice it goes from 0 to 21! Wired point-to-point with a tag strip seeing as the circuit is so simple.

tagwap

Nice! I'm sure it'll be a happy birthday.  ;D

raulduke

Thats fantastic.

A really clean build; inside and out.

I'd be stoked to get that as a b'day present. I'd also be stoked to be 21 again  :'(

Diamond

Looks great! Would you mind sharing which JFET boost you used for this project?

DutchMF

What a cool birthday present! Looks very tidy, no PCB's in sight! And I love the graphics. 21 is 10 louder than 11......  ;D
I could build my brother a pedal for his birthday, but it would probably be used as a paperweight. He's not a guitar player, but a cool dude anyway (and a great father for my niece and 2 nephews, maybe one of them wants to play guitar!).

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

nzCdog

NF Audio

NF Audio

Quote from: raulduke on March 27, 2012, 06:25:34 AM
Thats fantastic.

A really clean build; inside and out.

I'd be stoked to get that as a b'day present. I'd also be stoked to be 21 again  :'(

Thankyou! Well, I guess the older you get the higher your boost goes...

NF Audio

Quote from: DutchMF on March 28, 2012, 09:35:40 AM
What a cool birthday present! Looks very tidy, no PCB's in sight! And I love the graphics. 21 is 10 louder than 11......  ;D
I could build my brother a pedal for his birthday, but it would probably be used as a paperweight. He's not a guitar player, but a cool dude anyway (and a great father for my niece and 2 nephews, maybe one of them wants to play guitar!).

Paul

I wish all my friends and family played guitar so I could just give them all pedals...

NF Audio

Quote from: Diamond on March 28, 2012, 05:34:38 AM

Hi,

Imagine the super hard on boost, but replace the boost pot with a resistor to permanently bias the transistor and then put the pot after the circuit as a voltage divider. Change the input resistors to 470K or so. I used an MPF102 for the transistor so the diode for static protection can also be removed.

I can draw a diagram if you'd like?

Diamond

Quote from: NF Audio on March 29, 2012, 02:44:54 PM

Hi,

Imagine the super hard on boost, but replace the boost pot with a resistor to permanently bias the transistor and then put the pot after the circuit as a voltage divider. Change the input resistors to 470K or so. I used an MPF102 for the transistor so the diode for static protection can also be removed.

Thanks man! A diagram wouldn't be necessary, I got it from your explanation. I did this fixed bias thing to a SHO once, with a 470r resistor (I think) and added a 100k pot to control the output. It makes a great boost/cut circuit and I actually use it to make my amp sound cleaner for the very few clean-ish parts my band has. It works great this way, but now I will also try it with a JFET. Thanks again!

DutchMF

Hi,

I would like to see that diagram, still trying to learn as much as possible. No rush, but if you can find the time..... Thanx in advance!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

NF Audio

Quote from: DutchMF on March 30, 2012, 09:34:19 AM

Hi,

I would like to see that diagram, still trying to learn as much as possible. No rush, but if you can find the time..... Thanx in advance!

Paul

Here ya go: