News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Breadboard Advice...

Started by Haberdasher, April 06, 2010, 09:50:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haberdasher

Greetings everyone.  This is my first post, and I'm a newb.   I've been studying madbean's board (pictured below) and I have some questions.  I guess I just want to get some advice about breadboarding before I get started.

1) What priority should I place on putting a BB rig together?  I just ordered 4 n00b level boards the website and I'm wondering if I should just try to put together, say, the orange squeezer clone (cupcake) first- or would it be a good idea for me to get the breadboard together beforehand.  Thanks in advance.

2) Out of curiosity, what size cutting board was used in the pic?  10xsomething?

3) How many and what value of pots should I get for a BB?

4)  madbean, where did you get that aluminum sheet?  I've looked around a little and I can't find anything like that.  Is the aluminum merely something to mount switches and knobs to, or does it provide a little noise shielding?

5) Also @ madbean, what is the purpose of the L bracket sticking up on your board?

I know that's a lot of questions, so thanks again.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

madbean

The rig has changed quite a bit since I took this pic. The newer version has only the breadboards and a 1590A which is hooked up just like a regular pedal without a circuit. I'm also using PCB mounted pots now instead of that aluminum sheet. It's just quicker to pop in the pots that way.

As far as your questions:
1) You should, at the very least, have something set up so that you can test your builds out before boxing them up. It is imperative that you do this. There's nothing worse than spending an hour boxing it up only to find out it's not working. By testing it first, you will save yourself a lot of frustration. It can be as simple as to mono jacks and a battery snap on a single breadboard, so you can run power and plug into the effect and amp.

2) The cutting board is about 10x8. I got it at Target, I think.

3) As many as you can afford. I have regular lug pots that I use for builds that I'm actually going to box, and PCB mounted pots for prototyping. It's up to you if you want to go through that expense, but having at least two of the most common values will save you time: 1k, 5k, 10k, 25k, 50k, 100k, 250k, 500k, 1M.

4) I got the sheet from a local hardware store. I drilled all the holes first, then scored one side of it with a knife and then bent it into shape. I also sanded the edges some to round them off. It was purely to mount switches and pots. don't worry about shielding. BB's are noisy and you will find most effects quiet down a bit once they are in an enclosure.

5) The bracket was supposed to mount a little coffee can amp which I never got around to building. Turned out I much preferred plugging into a real amp when testing things out!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Haberdasher

Quote from: madbean on April 06, 2010, 12:25:01 PM
The rig has changed quite a bit since I took this pic. The newer version has only the breadboards and a 1590A which is hooked up just like a regular pedal without a circuit. I'm also using PCB mounted pots now instead of that aluminum sheet. It's just quicker to pop in the pots that way.

Very cool.  I was planning on buying dedicated pots for the bb anyway.  Are you saying that if I get the PCB-mount type they will just push right into the bb?  Or do you have to solder little ends onto them first?

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

madbean

They'll push in. It will wear out your BB a little more, but mine is still going strong and I've had it a few years.

Haberdasher

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

madbean

irmcdermott

i build my own little "beavis board" last night, since Dano was cool enough to show how he wires up his breakout box for people who want to build their own. about to breadboard some stuff today to really test it out.

CRBMoA

I like yours. Mine is more ghetto. I'll try to find some pics.