News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

stupid pedal tricks: madbean honeydripper

Started by pinkjimiphoton, April 02, 2012, 10:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkjimiphoton

thanks guys....if you remember the 70's and lazer shows at concerts, you know just what i mean. ;)

jimilee

Just put it together in a shell,awesome on bass too!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

billstein

Just great! Another pedal I NEED now. Way to go pinkjimiphoton... Way to go!

stevie1556

Great sounding pedal. Never crossed my mind to build it, but it's now on my list to do!

And as others have said, your demo videos are great!

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

fendman

I saw this clip of  Pinkjimiphoton just before I built the Honeydripper, it made my mind up there and then I was going to build it.  He makes it talk a lot better than I do, but I did the mod he talks about and it is a great pedal, I put a rams head in front of it as well and it is Wow :)

Trippy....yeh, Jimi is great entertainment value :)

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: fendman on April 18, 2013, 10:28:50 PM
I saw this clip of  Pinkjimiphoton just before I built the Honeydripper, it made my mind up there and then I was going to build it.  He makes it talk a lot better than I do, but I did the mod he talks about and it is a great pedal, I put a rams head in front of it as well and it is Wow :)

Trippy....yeh, Jimi is great entertainment value :)

three secrets to making this work best:

1: overdrive after, fuzz before
2: way less sensitivity than you'd think.. just above half way up is good, depending on which "voicing"
3: wanna make it talk more? if a strat/tele guy, SWELL INTO NOTES. that will let you sweep the filiter, and give you far more control over the quacks.
the lower your guitar volume, the harder ya gotta hit it to get the effect... the higher, the lighter.
so i often am picking lightly and then swelling into whatever amount of dripper i need to make it work.
you can really get it to track your playing nicely doing that.
much harder on a gibson or anything that doesn't have a strat style volume knob.

but those three tricks will help you get the most out of your dripper, imho..
hope it helps man!!
rock on
jimi d'photon rose~

gingataff

Hey Jimi
I just finished my honeydripper, sounds sweet but a bit different to yours.
I know there are a million and one variables but I have a couple of questions about your build:

When you say you built it stock apart from from a 1n34a and 1n914 (1n4148?) in the clipping section, I presume you stuck to the BOM rather than Brian's mod suggestions?

Secondly, when you said you tried some different ICs until you were happy, what did you try and what did you settle on?

Thanks again for inspiring me to build this pedal!

Dirty love to ya ;)

pinkjimiphoton

i honestly don't remember what the hell i did, but i think i posted it all either here, diystompboxes and/or freestompboxes.org.
if i recall correctly, i used an 1n34a on one side, and a 914/4148 on the other.

i swapped out dual opamps until i was happy. could be anything in there, probably a 4558 if memory serves..
my memory is hazier than the lazer shows during the 70's, man, if ya catch my drift...

cof...foc... lol

Stomptown

Nice! Something tells me bean is going to sell out of Honeydrippers soon. I want one!