News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Electronic Component Organising

Started by chromesphere, April 21, 2012, 07:34:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromesphere

Hey everyone!
Thought this video might be a good 'discussion point'.  It keeps changing but this is how i have my stuff stored at the moment.  I'm finding bagging all the individual resistor / cap values SO much easier to locate stuff.  Anyway, check it out. 
Your suggestions / tips welcome!
Paul

Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

alanp

I really need to get one of those... at the moment I have four icecream container that stack into each other. They're labelled 'semi', 'resistors', and 'capacitors'. (Anything bigger lives in the big zip lock bag it came in.) The fourth container is where resistor bags and capacitor bags live after I'm finished with them for the project at hand (cuts down on shuffling through values looking for the next lot.) It's not a good system, too much hunting around.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

glowsheep

Organizing isn't my problem, it's not having enough extra components to organize.  :D   

chromesphere

i think i've got so many resistors left over, because you order 1 and get 10.  I used to order multiple caps but stopped doing that cause of all the loose ones you end up with.  Now the things taking up most of the room are the 'bulk' stuff.  Which i gotta say, i wish i have of done early.
Paul

derevaun

Nice! I've been pondering how to organize caps; this really helped. I was about to ditch the bags; I think I'll go your route instead.

I like the Harbor Freight "small" box mentioned in the other thread. But I've recently discovered organizer bins at Daiso for even cheaper. Daiso is a Japanese "dollar" store; more accurately it's a 100 yen store, and everything's US$1.50. They're just on the West Coast, alas. The Daiso bins I like don't have as many, or any adjustable, compartments, but they're really nice for transistors and parts that don't need to be broken out into lots of values.

redbean

Great video on keeping pedal parts stuff organized. I subscribed to your YouTube channel, which is one of my very few music-related subscriptions.  ;)
es là-bas!!

chromesphere

Cheers guys!  More to come!

Keeping this stuff in order is an ever evolving task :)  Nice to be able to get at stuff quickly though, particularly when your in the middle of something.  Someone on diysb said they use a small card organiser (like a filing cabinet), which i thought was a pretty cool idea!
Paul

pk1802

Nice video! I may have to change my organizational structure in my drawers, I like yours a lot better.

When I was in highschool and had just started goofing around with pedals, I didn't have a lot of parts, and I wanted a quick way to organize my goods. I had been a huge baseball card collector in middleschool and had a ton of the 3 ring binder pages for displaying trading cards.

I cut out a bunch of pieces of paper that were trading card size, taped parts to the cards, wrote the value on the card, and filled up a giant binder with parts. There are 9 slots per page, and you can store 2 cards in a slot. It works really well for resistors, and ok for caps and transistors, anything else and things start getting crazy.

This was actually my go to method up until a couple months ago. It had served me well through college because I could just throw my binder in a box with the rest of my books, and I didn't have to fill up my dorm room with plastic drawers.

icecycle66

Are transistors and what have you really so sentsitive to static that storing them in plastice containers are hazardous?

It doesn't seem like Chromesphere had a problem with it.  how about anyone else?

chromesphere

Interesting idea with the baseball card holders pk1802, i bet it saved a tonne of room!!

I havent had a problem with static.  Infact my local electronics shop stores them in the same thing!  I think you have to be careful with germanium though (diodes / transistors). I leave then in anti static bags / what they came in orginally.
Paul