News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

This is the Aristocrat--analogman's KING OF TONE?? Really?

Started by maysink, September 27, 2010, 09:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maysink

So I'm waiting on some fancy knobs to finish my aristocrat build and, although it works perfectly fine, I'm under-impressed. I built the second channel w/ a 250K gain pot otherwise she's as per the build docs.

Now I can hear the difference between each channel's 4 dip-switch settings--it's a clean-ish/non mid-hump OD--but WTF? THIS is analogman's "original", multi hundred $$, 2 year wait list pedal?? Am i missing something?

Really? No dis on brian as the build works--I'm just baffled *THIS* is the fabled analogman KOT!! Have I been seduced by the marketing gods?

Again: it functions as I would expect. I guess I just expected more from this boo-teak pedal.
[nothing to see here]
-e

madbean

I think it is not for everyone. You can tell just by the number of ones you see for sale everyday on TGP. People have certain expectations about it, and then find it doesn't live up to the hype for whatever reason and unload it. I think it's a nice design (remember that it's pretty much a Blues Breaker with some mods) that becomes more useful when modded further. Specifically, larger input cap, maybe tweaking the tone or presence functions, a higher gain pot, and using different diodes and op-amp on the two channels. It opens up more that way.

The waiting list is by design, I'm sure. Had the KOT been readily available and flooded the market right away then it would likely have faded out of the spotlight quickly. Not due to any design flaws, but rather because it is just a pretty nice overdrive and nothing more. There's nothing special or clever about it. But, it's well built and priced fairly for what it is, IMO. And, analogman knows how to market its wares very effectively.

maysink

I'd make a horrible scientist--walking into experiments w/ preconceived notions. I'll come back to it and try some of your suggestions, Brian. What would a larger input cap do?
[nothing to see here]
-e

madbean

Just some more low end. I used a 27n, I think. 47n is fine, too. I did this because it came off pretty weak on my Vox with the standard 10n.

PeterMorton

I had a KOT and sold it. It was nice. I was underwhelmed by the drive side. The boost was excellent. If he sold just the boost... maybe I'd keep it. Is the Aristocrat the drive side or the boost side?

madbean

The Aristocrat can be either depending how you set the dip switches. The "King of Klones" project is just one half of the KOT (KOT is 2 of the exact same circuit on one board), and it also can be set as drive or boost.

gtr2

Sad to hear that maysink..  I'm about to start my KOT soon.  Unfortunately, I moved and had to build a workbench first, so the boards been sitting for a month or so.  I'm hoping that I'm not disappointed with the KOT circuit, but I think it's what I'm looking for as far as an overdrive for my uses with the dual "channels".  Hopefully making a couple mods will make the pedal a little more to your liking.

With all the hype on the gear page on some of this stuff, I too get a preconceived "Holy Grail" tone in my head.  At least you didn't pay a boutique price.  ;D
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

maysink

I spent some more time with her yesterday (no new mods) and it's a fine pedal but I still haven't found the magical combination of dip switch'd diodes, presence trim-pottyness and knob tweakage. I did get a nice sound out of guitar > eq > aristocrat > boost > amp so maybe there is something there I haven't quite fingered out...

Regardless, it was a fun build--I just (continue to) have preconceptions biasing my reality. Damn marketing! I am SO glad I no longer work in that profession!
[nothing to see here]
-e

jkokura

I built one and really like it. I like how the two drives stack up nicely, kinda like two tubescreamers work well together. What's functional about the Aristocrat is the clipping switches, whereas tubescreamers don't feature that unless you mod them, these bluesbreakers have them built in.

I understand that buying into the marketing thing too. Once I started learning how to build pedals, I realized that it's really a lot of hype, especially the overpriced 'bootique' stuff. It's not bad, just more expensive than I'm willing to pay when I can build it for much, much less.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

maysink

So I finally got around to changing the input caps on my aristocrat build. Socketed the locations and have (so far) settled on 39n. That combined with setting the presence ~75% gets me a nice full range w/ no loss of highs. I like that much more than the icepick-y/AM-radio tone I was getting before.

Good suggestion, Brian. Thanks!
[nothing to see here]
-e

josetxu

Umm I'm having the same problem with my aristocrat high gain side: icepicking fizzy distortion. I should try the higher capacitor's mod. Thanks for the information!!

madbean

You can always go up to 100n for the input cap. But, 47n will cover the full range of the guitar---that's a very standard value for an input cap.

maysink

Try backing off the presence trimpots, too. Once I dialed them back I started to get what the pedal was about.
[nothing to see here]
-e

small fish

Hi,
just found something on evilbay and I´m going nuts  :o

http://cgi.ebay.de/AnalogMan-King-of-Tone-V4-Analog-Man-/270736256434?pt=Allgemeines_Musikinstrumente_Zubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item3f09236db2

It´s an original KOT, at the moment, I was copying the link, this little pedal was worth about 251 Euros (approx. $ 365) and still 2 days left....woooaah. This is insane!
Guitars are made of trees! Paper is made of trees!
Recycle your paper, so there are more trees left - to make guitars!

small fish

Guitars are made of trees! Paper is made of trees!
Recycle your paper, so there are more trees left - to make guitars!