News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Smoothie JFETs how close a match is needed?

Started by trickpony, May 04, 2012, 09:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trickpony

Transistors for the smoothie.
I tested 10 bf245 (all I had and came up with)

Would the 1.403 and the 1.440 work as a match?
Thanks,
Ben

jkokura

JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

trickpony

jkokura

At this point, it's your closest match so I'd go with it and not worry about it.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

trickpony

Well, Ok. Thanks.
But really the question came about because the instructions say that the transistors much be matched, give a link on how to match them (yours, thanks again) but nowhere do I see any instruction on how close they should be/ need to be/ best to be.

Does a difference of .04 matter at all or is it a big deal?
I think I will try out some different values with what I have to see if I get a big difference with say 1.4 and 1.5, compared to the 1.37 1.4....I'll post what I find.

Ben

madbean

FWIW: I matched mine to about .5%, but I also measured about 50 devices. What you have may be fine. You just need to try it out and see if you get good phasing. Socketing the transistors might be a good idea in case you need to get some more closely matched ones.

claytushaywood

is there anyone that sells matched jfets for phase circuits?  I know guitarpcb used to, but they're always out of stock of em

pryde

Quote from: claytushaywood on May 06, 2012, 02:44:47 AM
is there anyone that sells matched jfets for phase circuits?  I know guitarpcb used to, but they're always out of stock of em

Yes indeed. GGG sells a matched set of 2N5485's for $3. I built a GGG phase 45 and these work fine:
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=189&category_id=8

trickpony

Quote from: pryde on May 06, 2012, 12:19:01 PM
Quote from: claytushaywood on May 06, 2012, 02:44:47 AM

Yes indeed. GGG sells a matched set of 2N5485's for $3. I built a GGG phase 45 and these work fine:
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=189&category_id=8

GGG states that they are matched within 1/10th of a volt...