News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Soldering ICs

Started by Guybrush, June 15, 2012, 03:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guybrush

Hey there.

I've got a bit of free time next week and I plan to make the most of it by finally getting on with some builds.

I'm going to make a Doombutter which will be my first build with an IC (I'm still new to this).  I was just wondering if there are any do's or don't when soldering IC's?  I'm worried about ruining the chips by making a stupid mistake.

Also I'm assuming they need to be orientated a certain way.  Is there any fail safe way of doing this?

Thanks in advance!

irmcdermott

Definitely use sockets, ICs are very easy to damage. On the ICs, there is usually a dot on the top left corner... that is pin 1

pryde

As said, sockets for sure. If you don't have any, your local radio shack carries them.

Also, when installing the IC in the socket (after soldering) don't force it but the IC pins should seat down in the socket a good distance.

I tried to force an IC in once and smashed the legs flat and broke a pin  ::)

gtr2

Sockets are the way to go.

If you do have to solder for some reason.  Solder one leg at a time, leaving plenty of time to cool down between soldering each leg.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Guybrush

Cheers guys!.  Sockets have been ordered  :)

whitebread47

I'm still new to this hobby as well (about 10 builds deep), and most of my builds have been IC based.  Sockets have proved indispensable.  I have had some incidental IC difficulties and am very pleased that I did not have to try to desolder an IC from a board!

FWIW,  when placing the IC in the socket, pin 1 on the IC (the dot) will correlate with the square solder pad on the board (unless using vero or perf of course).  Don't know if that is helpful or not, but not knowing this has led me to error in the past.
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

GermanCdn

+1 (or whatever number we're at now) for sockets, with the all important second step of remembering to install the IC in the socket before testing the circuit out.  This has happened to me on a number of occasions (you'd think I'd learn).  FWIW, you should always socket ICs and transistors, the sockets are dirt cheap, and you can swap them out for tonal change experiments later.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

jkokura

Soldering in ICs is easy, it's removing them that's hard. That's why I recommend sockets.

I just ordered 200 8 pin sockets last week...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Vallhagen

...and solder opposite corners first (pin 1 and 5 on an 8pin socket..), then it sits safely in place for The rest of The pins.

...and i dont bother to socket transistors.

Cheers
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

calciferspit

Quote from: jkokura on June 18, 2012, 04:53:53 PM
Soldering in ICs is easy, it's removing them that's hard. That's why I recommend sockets.

I just ordered 200 8 pin sockets last week...

Jacob
This. You don't want to remove an IC. ICs should just come with a socket (nudge nudge small bear)

Guybrush

Thanks for all the advice.

My ICs arrived yesterday. Whilst most of them have a dot in one corner to identify pin 1 some of them don't,  like this one:

What's the best way to work out where pin 1 is?

Thanks again.

marmaliser

Pin 1 will be up at the end where the little half  circle indent is.  You could also check the datasheets

Guybrush

Thanks. I'll look for the data sheet.

juansolo

These days I only socket ICs that are expensive/rare and transistors/diodes if I plan to experiment with different ones. Builds I do for other people I try and solder as much in as poss so it's more robust.

But yeah, soldered in ICs are a proper swine if you need to get them out again.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

calciferspit

Quote from: juansolo on June 23, 2012, 06:47:47 AM
These days I only socket ICs that are expensive/rare and transistors/diodes if I plan to experiment with different ones. Builds I do for other people I try and solder as much in as poss so it's more robust.

But yeah, soldered in ICs are a proper swine if you need to get them out again.
thats why, when i've committed to socketed components, i tack just one lead to the socket for security and future ease of removal. i think ic and tranny sockets look nice and bold on a board, 2pin sockets for doides resistors and caps, not so much.