News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

1590A/Baby build boxing tip - get more vertical space!

Started by midwayfair, June 23, 2012, 03:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

If you're using the low-profile stereo enclosed jacks from Smallbear as suggested by Brian (http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=576), you can drill them just a *little* farther apart than the diagram calls for and then lay them sideways (with the lugs facing the switch and the top of the enclosure, respectively). It's a little tougher to wire them to the switch (be sure to check the bypass before inserting the board to make sure you used the right lugs!), but they still won't interfere with up to three pots and you get a TON of lengthwise space. Enough to use regular sized electrolytics, sockets with chips, and so forth. It's frigging luxurious in there now. Use an outie DC jack and you fit a bunch of projects that you wouldn't expect.

I'll have a couple builds ready by the end of the day that show it. None of them absolutely needed the extra space, but it's good to know for future builds that it's available.

mgwhit

Thanks, Jon.  Got my first baby boards in the mail this morning: Smoothie, Afterlife and a (non-baby) FatPants 2012 that I'm going to try to cram into a 1590a.  Got a few of those low profile i/o jacks and some outie DC jacks just waiting.  Definitely gonna try the sideways jack layout.