News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Larmonite AKA Dinky Drive AKA Mini Cat AKA ... AKA ...

Started by chromesphere, October 20, 2010, 10:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromesphere

Hi All,

Built the Dinky Drive.  Interesting overdrive.  I find the bass / treble has alot of unusable range, however, as the proud owner of an original hot cat 30r, i can say the eq in that thing can also be a bit tricky too...I did a quick test comparing the hot cat clean channel + dinky drive vs the hot cat gain channel (gain on about 1/3) and got a...sort of comparable tone out of it.  Let me know if you want a sound sample.  

It was a bit tricky fitting it all in a B case. Got there in the end.

Anyway heres a photo of the build.

Bottom photo is a photo of 'the growing family'  ;)

cs
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

gtr2

I like the cat!  ...um that timeline is nice...  I was about to pull the trigger on one then found out they were discontinued.  O well, they are huge anyways  ::)
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

chromesphere

Yeah i have a demonizer as well.  Between the 2, they take up nearly as much space as all those, 17 pedals combined.  Couldnt get rid of either of them though...the timeline through the hot cat clean channel is out of this world.  

Sort of on the same topic but different, i recorded this sample for a friend.  Signal chain: gibson sg -> small stone (diy) -> small clone (diy) -> tremulus lune (diy) -> Timeline -> hot cat 30r clean channel with reverb.

http://www.chromesphere.com/x/music/badcat_multi_fx.mp3

Oh, the picture of the tail-less cat is a manx.  My cat is also a manx.  Pedal is a 'bad cat'.  My cat is also a 'bad cat'.  My nick name for her is 'the larmzonite'.  A...brief...description of the title and picture...im a complicated person...  :)

jkokura

I like the collection by the way. I wish I had some pictures like that... I've sold or traded away too many of my builds... Perhaps I should start a thread where I put up all the pictures of the pedals I've ever built. I don't even have pictures of a third probably.

But your collection - awesome!

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

gtr2

I still like that box of croc...Just a wonderful combo of components  ;D
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jkokura

You can see there's an abrupt transition in your labeling practices...

What are you doing now compared to the old strip labeling you used to do Chrome?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

chromesphere

Hey thanks guys,

i've given away a few of my pedals, but they have been double ups.  Usually for presents for guitarist friends. So all of those pedals are pretty much it.  Given away about 6 so far...

I started with dynamo labels cause i didnt want to learn another process.   But as the 'collection' kept growing i figured it would be worth while learning to use waterslide decals.  Even though they are another, large, step in the process and they are fiddly, theres no going back for me.  I'm going to all the trouble of making the pedal look good, then stick on dynomo labels.  Doesnt make sense...

Just finished a Tri-vibe this weekend.  A new member of the family :) Im thinking i might go back to the more expensive knobs.  Those futurlec knobs arent bad, considering their only 90c each, but they are a bit cheap...to look at, and in construction...

Paul