News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Deadringer Updates?

Started by mjcyates, April 14, 2010, 09:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjcyates

Brian, any updates on the Deadringer issue?

madbean

Marvin,

I'm getting all orders out today, which will let me work on that tonight. I will do my best to have the fix posted here tomorrow.

Thanks for you patience--I know it is taking a while.

Brian

mjcyates

No problem Brian. I know you have your hands full. I really like what you have going on here.

mjcyates

Brian,
In the project documentation for the Deadringer you make reference to this forum for directions on how to correct from ver1 to ver2. Have you posted this yet?
Thanks,
Marvin

madbean

Ah crap! I'll get that up later today. Thanks for the reminder. I'll link it from this thread, too.

mjcyates

Thanks Brian, aside from the wiring changes and layout changes, it looks like there were 3 component changes as well. R15 150k -> 510k, C4 100p -> 51p, and C9 1n -> 10n. Are those changes going to have a significant effect on the tone?

madbean

C9 will have a more noticeable change than any of the others. I'm still working on this. It's actually a bit of a bugger. I've got everything working as it should except the FM mode. I'll get back to it in the morning and finish up.

mjcyates

Yeah I was comparing the two project files and it didn't look like it was going to be a simple fix.

madbean

Once you break down the changes, it's not too bad. A few misplaced wires. But, due to the fact that I reversed the order of the drive and boost pots, it seems to be causing some issue with getting that FM option to work. But, I will keep at it today to find the absolute simplest fix. Hang tight!

I feel pretty dumb for screwing this up. I realize now I rushed this one out too soon and should have taken more care with it. But, it's a good lesson to learn....hopefully no one is too upset. My track record is still pretty good, otherwise  :'(

So far the fixes are these:
Consider the DPDT (on/on/on) two columns, labeled A1-A3, and B1-B3
S1: connect to A2
S2: connect to B2
S3: leave unconnected
S4: connect to B1
A3: connect to A3 on the 3PDT

And the actual positions of the switch would be (top to bottom) VIN/FM/CC

But, this isn't quite right...so don't try it yet!

I'll have an actual diagram done once I crack this last part.

mjcyates

Thanks Brian, your track record is just fine, I will wait for the diagram.

mjcyates

Brian, for the new component values is 470k a suitable replacement for the 510k resistor? Also for C4 I do not have a 51p cap, however, I do have a 33p and a 100p. Which cap would be the best, I assume the 33p?
Thanks!

madbean

Quote from: mjcyates on June 11, 2010, 10:15:36 AM
Brian, for the new component values is 470k a suitable replacement for the 510k resistor? Also for C4 I do not have a 51p cap, however, I do have a 33p and a 100p. Which cap would be the best, I assume the 33p?
Thanks!

There is no discernible difference tone-wise in using 470k in place of 510k. If you have two 100pF, place them in series. That will give you 50pF. If not, I would actually go with just the 100pF. 33pF is too small, IMO.

And here is the link the corrections I just posted: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=186.msg837#msg837

mjcyates

Thanks Brian, looking forward to getting this one back up and running.

mjcyates

Got everything back in order and running yesterday. Definitely sounds better than before and all functions appear to be working as expected. I went with 470k for the resistor and 100p for the cap. I ended up yanking out the 1n34a diode. I always think those tend to muddy up the tone. Thanks for your efforts Brian.