News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Cave Dweller that isn't.

Started by jimmybjj, July 06, 2012, 01:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmybjj

Haven't posted a build in a while so i thought i would share my first full face etch. It isn't perfect but i think it came out ok. I originally wanted to paint the inset black but only had orange on hand. The orange didn't end up contrasting with the silver very much and was hard to read, so i took some acetone to it  ;D and tried for a burst effect. The photos came out a little wonky because these dang mosquitoes were chasing me around the yard.

The circuit is actually a Sea Urchin using my own layout. The background on the pedal looked more CAVEy :) than it did a sea urchin. Not really satisfied with the wiring but it'll work.

I had a rough time getting this one to work properly and still don't know why, but its working great now. The pt2399 was getting hot and no delay was present, I think this is others refer to as locking up. The pedal would not be working then after probing the circuit would suddenly work. Pins 3 and 4 are not connect on most layouts as they are connected via a 10 ohm resistor internally. I decided on a whim to solder pins 3 and 4 together. It doesn't make sense that this would work but it did, or at least i mistaking did something else simultaneously while doing this to correct the problem. In any case it works now. If anyone has some insite as to what happened or might have happened I would gladly like to hear your experiences.

Pcbs no longer available

Bluestrat

nzCdog

That etch is superb, love the funky fonts and texture!
Such a delicious sounding pedal too, Very nice!   8)

nzCdog

Quote from: jimmybjj on July 06, 2012, 01:25:39 PM
I had a rough time getting this one to work properly and still don't know why, but its working great now. The pt2399 was getting hot and no delay was present, I think this is others refer to as locking up. The pedal would not be working then after probing the circuit would suddenly work. Pins 3 and 4 are not connect on most layouts as they are connected via a 10 ohm resistor internally. I decided on a whim to solder pins 3 and 4 together. It doesn't make sense that this would work but it did, or at least i mistaking did something else simultaneously while doing this to correct the problem. In any case it works now. If anyone has some insite as to what happened or might have happened I would gladly like to hear your experiences.

Interesting.  Mine tends to occasionally 'lock up' after a rapid 'power off/power on' from the PSU. (When someone trips over a power cord or something)  I've been trying to monitor the Voltages on it when it does this for a solution, and it just seems that some of the caps need to drain a bit before power goes back on.  So the fix is that I just disconnect it from the PSU and leave it to sit for 20s or so, then its fine again to plug back in.  A little annoying but the SOUND is worth it! 8)

pickdropper

I love the etch.   Great looking build.

I am a big fan of the Sea Urchin circuit.  Sounds great to me.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Haberdasher

I really like that look!  Nice work
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jimmybjj

Thanks for compliments guys. I was really unsure of the finish on this one, couldn't decide if i wanted to redo it.

Quote from: nzCdog on July 06, 2012, 10:16:28 PM
Interesting.  Mine tends to occasionally 'lock up' after a rapid 'power off/power on' from the PSU. (When someone trips over a power cord or something)  I've been trying to monitor the Voltages on it when it does this for a solution, and it just seems that some of the caps need to drain a bit before power goes back on.  So the fix is that I just disconnect it from the PSU and leave it to sit for 20s or so, then its fine again to plug back in.  A little annoying but the SOUND is worth it! 8)

yeah its weird, the fix for it on FC 's little angle was a larger resistor between pins 4 and 6 but the DB already has a minimum of 2.7k  But for now anyway mine is working 100%
Pcbs no longer available

redbean

es là-bas!!

bigmufffuzzwizz

Love your layouts Jimmy! Etch is really clean also...I like the burst effect you got going, I thought you actually sprayed a bit of blue to get that.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

jimmybjj

Thanks, I really liked this one. Its one of the pedals that i liked the best out of the ones that went missing.
Pcbs no longer available