News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Boneyard

Started by Haberdasher, July 16, 2012, 07:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haberdasher

4 knob stock boneyard except for the r5 c5 mod.  I used the a little bit of shielded wire, used the value of pots in the build doc and flipped r4 to the back.  unfortunately there is some persistent ringing in the last 1/4 turn of the high gain pot that I'll have to deal with at some point.  but right now it's too much fun to play to rip it apart.  it really does make my rig sound like a marshall, amazing!

Thanks to k.rock! for the awesome graphics for the faceplate.

In retrospect I think the silver marshall knobs would look much better so I'll have to order some.
I think I used more wire for this pedal than I have for any other project.  I got a little slippy toward the end I think because I was just ready to hear it, haha.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

midwayfair

Quote from: Haberdasher on July 16, 2012, 07:38:25 AMI think I used more wire for this pedal than I have for any other project.

But the important part is that the wire is all orange!

nice lookin' faceplate for sure. I like the "trimmer" graphic particularly, since they don't really tell you what the controls do. :D

jimmybjj

Pcbs no longer available

eldanko

Lovely bro!  I dig the etch...
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

alanp

Is the voicing of the Orange tonestack really so close to the Marshall Plexi? I thought it was different?

And despite the amount of wire, it still looks very clean!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Haberdasher

thanks everybody!

Quote from: alanp on July 16, 2012, 08:33:55 AM
Is the voicing of the Orange tonestack really so close to the Marshall Plexi? I thought it was different?

I don't really know.  Truthfully I only played through an orange once and I think the tubes in it were shot.  But I don't think orange even makes a plexi clone though so this theme is just pure fantasy.  I'm definitely not attempting to suggest anything like that, I just like the orange logo.   ;D

Quote from: alanp on July 16, 2012, 08:33:55 AMAnd despite the amount of wire, it still looks very clean!
thanks!

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

mjcyates

Looks great! I think I am going to have to make me another one of these at some point.

k.rock!

wow dude! the etch looks incredible!!  :o

Nice guts too man. Glad it worked out great! :D

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

Hangingmonkey

Hey keefe, the pedal looks awesome.  Im working on one at the moment but trying to locate a TC1044.  Looks like Mouser is my only option. 

How did you do the faceplate.  Looks very pro, did you have it professionally made?

night-B

pryde

Awesome build man!

As far as that whine, you could just quickly tac a 1M resistor to the high-gain pot to knock it down to 500k. I don't think you would notice any real decrease of gain but it may solve the whine issue completely.

As you said, the Boneyard makes my 5e3 tweed sound exactly like a roaring marshall. love it.

Haberdasher

Quote from: k.rock! on July 16, 2012, 09:45:23 AM
wow dude! the etch looks incredible!!  :o

Nice guts too man. Glad it worked out great! :D

-Kaleb
Appreciate it, mang!  And thanks again for the kewl graphic. 8)

Quote from: Hangingmonkey on July 16, 2012, 11:03:45 AM
Hey keefe, the pedal looks awesome.  Im working on one at the moment but trying to locate a TC1044.  Looks like Mouser is my only option.  

How did you do the faceplate.  Looks very pro, did you have it professionally made?
Hey thanks for the nice words.  I made the faceplate; I do it with the same technique I use to etch pcb's.

You can probably get that chip from mouser, newark, alliedelectronics, digikey and maybe jameco.
Quote from: night-B on July 16, 2012, 11:39:44 AM
I love it!  ;)
thanks julien!

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

Haberdasher

Quote from: pryde on July 16, 2012, 12:34:11 PM
Awesome build man!

As far as that whine, you could just quickly tac a 1M resistor to the high-gain pot to knock it down to 500k. I don't think you would notice any real decrease of gain but it may solve the whine issue completely.

As you said, the Boneyard makes my 5e3 tweed sound exactly like a roaring marshall. love it.
Thanks, Jeff!  I had the same thought, the 1m resistor would be much easier than surgically removing the pot.  That's probably what I'll do.

I've been using this so far on the vox channel of my little egnater.  It sound s pretty tough! 8)
Next I want to try it with the thunderpuss to see how it sounds stacked up.

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

JakeFuzz

Dude! This thing looks great. That's a bummer about the high frequency noise. I wonder if you shield like crazy it will go away. I also wonder if it is the charge pump causing the noise or if there is just some coupling from adjacent lines... 

Haberdasher

Well I put a resistor (1M5) on the lugs of the 1MA pot but it still makes the high freq noise starting at the same position of the high gain control.  It doesn't appear to have improved the situation.

I stuck a thunderpuss right before it and it sounds bloody awesome.
Quote from: JakeFuzz on July 16, 2012, 12:54:39 PM
Dude! This thing looks great. That's a bummer about the high frequency noise. I wonder if you shield like crazy it will go away. I also wonder if it is the charge pump causing the noise or if there is just some coupling from adjacent lines... 
Thanks, Paul! 

Are you talking about using shielding tape inside the enclosure?

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE: