News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mercedes Green Sparkle RAH

Started by JakeFuzz, July 29, 2012, 04:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JakeFuzz

Taking a break from my still broken Honeydripper build. This overdrive sounds great. It gets a little crackly when the gain is set lower and the notes decay. The full out sounds are great, very Page like. Thanks to Haberdasher for the board, it looks fantastic and fired right up. The EQ is great with this pedal too, it feels very much like an amp EQ. The dynamics are my favorite part of this effect. You can play very lightly at full gain and get clean notes. Really great drive that doesn't get fizzy (as I am finding with most of CB's effects).

The soundclip is played with an Ibanez Prestige with SD jazz neck and bridge pickups through a Fender TRRI.

[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/jakefuzz/rah[/soundcloud]

bigrigg

Thanks for the sound clip!  Nice playing.

Haberdasher

Yeah, nice playing Paul.  That pedal sounds pretty darn good too, I must admit.  I may have to bump that up the build list.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

midwayfair

Like the mix of knobs. :)

The last setting was really cool. Squawky but spitty and yet still smooth and crunchy. Nice!

JakeFuzz

Quote from: bigrigg on July 29, 2012, 04:17:29 PM
Thanks for the sound clip!  Nice playing.

Thanks! I do need to brush up on my Zep licks after re-listening to this though!

Quote from: Haberdasher on July 29, 2012, 06:49:00 PM
Yeah, nice playing Paul.  That pedal sounds pretty darn good too, I must admit.  I may have to bump that up the build list.

I really like this one. Most of the drives I have been building don't make it past my shelf of old circuits. This one though sounds different than most of the drives out there. It is a little weak with singles but on Howard's suggestion using a rangemaster in front makes it sound amazing again.

Quote from: midwayfair on July 29, 2012, 07:43:30 PM
Like the mix of knobs. :)

The last setting was really cool. Squawky but spitty and yet still smooth and crunchy. Nice!

Thanks! I believe that last setting was with the mids knob all the way up. I really dig the EQ. It can be subtle but it is still super useful. With a treble booster out in front it gets even more aggressive and awesome!

Bret608

Wow, I hadn't really given this circuit a serious listen before. Sounds awesome! I think those RAH tones are some of the more elusive ones in the Page arsenal.

The Mercedes Sparkle looks better here than on PPP's site! May have to get this for an upcoming build.

JakeFuzz

Quote from: Bret608 on July 30, 2012, 10:32:43 AM
Wow, I hadn't really given this circuit a serious listen before. Sounds awesome! I think those RAH tones are some of the more elusive ones in the Page arsenal.

The Mercedes Sparkle looks better here than on PPP's site! May have to get this for an upcoming build.

I agree about the elusive Page tones. I was blown away the first time I watched that DVD. I still have it somewhere at home. I need to go back and compare to see how close I can get. Yes on the MG sparkle. I got it on sale at PPP and it looks fantastic, I can best describe it as a light greying green with a hint of blue. Really nice color. It is set off well by off-white knobs.

Loztboy

murdog47

I'm not sure why but the RAH has been a thorn in my side  >:(  I have attempted two now and can not get this circuit to work! Spent hours trouble shooting and no luck. I have never had a problem with an etched board in the past but I guess this one just isn't for me. Sounds great, I believe a genuine CB RAH is in my future  ;D

JakeFuzz

Quote from: murdog47 on July 30, 2012, 12:01:25 PM
I'm not sure why but the RAH has been a thorn in my side  >:(  I have attempted two now and can not get this circuit to work! Spent hours trouble shooting and no luck. I have never had a problem with an etched board in the past but I guess this one just isn't for me. Sounds great, I believe a genuine CB RAH is in my future  ;D

If you are using the same etch as this one, the separation distance form the pseudo ground plane to the traces is really tiny. I use a medium/small size screwdriver tip on my iron and I had lots of problems with solder bridging onto the ground plane. It is a nice small layout but whoever designed it made the ground very close. That's the first thing I would do is go through with a magnifying glass or a microscope and check for shorts.