News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Too Much Awesome (Boneyard with JFET input buffer)

Started by mgwhit, July 30, 2012, 05:04:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mshuptar

That looks super cool! Question: Did you use waterslide decals for the labeling?

mgwhit

Thank you!  And, yes, almost all of my builds use powdercoated enclosures (typically from Pedal Parts Plus, but some from Mammoth) with a laser printer clear waterslide decal and several layers of clear enamel.  I've been sticking to black lately (mainly because my printer is B&W), but I'm planning a series of color ones this Fall.

Hangingmonkey

Thanks for posting up the report.  I had similar whining issues with the boneyard so I left it up in the shelf till a solution came up for it.  I stuck a boss CE5 in front of it yesterday after reading this thread and problem solved. 

Any change you could post up a diagram or pics of what you did in your buffer?

Thanks and great work!

mgwhit

Quote from: Hangingmonkey on August 08, 2012, 11:49:13 PM

As per my previous post, it's just the GGG JFET Buffer with a couple of changed cap values. Google "vero JFET buffer" and you'll find better layouts than mine.  I just used the Radio Shack IC board because that's what I had laying around.

pickdropper

Quote from: mgwhit on August 09, 2012, 07:11:48 AM
Quote from: Hangingmonkey on August 08, 2012, 11:49:13 PM

As per my previous post, it's just the GGG JFET Buffer with a couple of changed cap values. Google "vero JFET buffer" and you'll find better layouts than mine.  I just used the Radio Shack IC board because that's what I had laying around.

Just an  FYI, I have a Boneyard in process and the only thing that cut the whine was putting a buffer in front of it.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Beedoola

Hey all and mgwhit.

I used the C5/R5 method to fix my BY whine issue - and it worked, however I'm experience this weird presence - most notably on the High Gain channel that sounds like the pedal is almost gonna go into oscillation. Like if I play a chord and then choke it, there is this underlying presence - like a trebly/wah sound. Its hard to explain.. Has anyone experienced/heard any thing like that? I'll have to keep listening to it to better describe it.

mgwhit

Quote from: Beedoola on September 04, 2012, 02:39:30 AM
I used the C5/R5 method to fix my BY whine issue - and it worked, however I'm experience this weird presence - most notably on the High Gain channel that sounds like the pedal is almost gonna go into oscillation. Like if I play a chord and then choke it, there is this underlying presence - like a trebly/wah sound. Its hard to explain.. Has anyone experienced/heard any thing like that? I'll have to keep listening to it to better describe it.

I don't think that the C5/R5 method truly fixes the issue enough.  I'm guessing you're still getting some oscillation, but it's just not getting totally out of control.  What values did you use?

pickdropper

Quote from: mgwhit on September 04, 2012, 05:39:59 AM

I don't think that the C5/R5 method truly fixes the issue enough.  I'm guessing you're still getting some oscillation, but it's just not getting totally out of control.  What values did you use?

This.  The C5/R5 method made no difference for me.  Putting a buffer is the only thing that worked.  I first confirmed by putting a buffered Klon pedal in front of it, then wired a direct one like you suggested.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

greyscales

Hey all and mgwhit.

I've gotten that sort of sound on the high gain. The only way I could get rid of it was to put a buffer before it. I used a Klon buffer and it works like a charm now. Worked on two of them.

Beedoola

ahh yes. I had a Klone but sold it to a friend. I just put my Boss RV-5 first i my chain and the sound went away. I was also getting some light feedback as well on the High Gain side. I may have to build a Kingslayer for a bummer heh

Beedoola

MG - did you put the buffer before the circuit In or the Input Jack In? - in the latter case, with the buffer always being in the signal path. I built a Klon buffer and it fixed the feedback/mild oscillation noise but now I'm getting switch pop for the Boneyard and all the pedals after it.

mgwhit

I put mine between the foot switch and the Bone yard circuit, so that it is only in the chain when the effect is activated.

greyscales

I put mine in front of the switch (always on) and it hasn't given me any problems, so you might want to check something.

Beedoola

Quote from: mgwhit on September 05, 2012, 06:15:36 PM
I put mine between the foot switch and the Bone yard circuit, so that it is only in the chain when the effect is activated.

cool, I rewired it to this configuration and the switch pop went away. Thank you.

Strider0007

Hello guys,

I posted a while back I saying I was going to look into it and I just got my pedal back from my friend so I apologize for the delay and I just started looking into it earlier today.
So far it looks to be crosstalk from the high gain section being routed too close to the input (R4/R1) and that whole trace passes below all the input components all the way to pin1 of the IC(LF347). So I took out all input components(RPD,R1,R2,C1) except C2 and wired the input directly to that and it took the whine away until I set the vol to like 2-3 o'clock then it started to come back again.
Also looks like it needs shielded input wire.
So next I placed R1 soldered to one side of C2 and it still kills the whine but only until the vol reaches 2-3 o'clock position.
I'm going to experiment a lil more later and post my findings. If it's not getting anywhere after that I'll just etch my own PCB to see if that solves it. I would like to build this without the extra buffer circuit but it might not be worth the effort considering how simple it is to just add a buffer in front of it as it has been mentioned here. I'm just determined to find out why it's oscillating I guess...lol