News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Inside a stomp switch

Started by angrykoko, September 04, 2012, 03:48:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

angrykoko

Ever wonder what's inside?  I did.
I pulled this one from my Dr. Boogie and disected it.  No idea how it caused the havoc it did on my boogie but it's been a much happier pedal since replacing it  :)

https://picasaweb.google.com/110429534417065546643/StompSwitch
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Om_Audio

What timing, I just spent hours tonight learning/repairing different things at my bench and took apart one of these too for the first time! Thanks for posting pics. Easy to understand the switch once you see the mechanism. I will be getting a "pro" version from Mammoth soon and will pop one open. If there is any difference I will post pics to this thread. Will do same for industrial ver too once I get one of those.

Here is an old thread where user "slimtriggers" posted useful switch info- middle row posts are always connected to one or other side of outside posts. http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=3738.msg33309#msg33309

C
Sent via soup cans and string.

angrykoko

This is a mammoth switch.
I have another that isnt working.. hoping to take 2 bad ones and make one good one  ;D

I cant wait to see the difference between the basic/pro/industrial ones.
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

bigmufffuzzwizz

That is really rad! I've always wondered how they actually work. Much different than I imagined.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

mgwhit

Very cool -- thanks for doing this!

Haberdasher

Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

greyscales

I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't that. Thanks for doing this.

jtn191

Quote from: greyscales on September 04, 2012, 06:39:12 PM
I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't that. Thanks for doing this.

haha +1. It's like when I was little, there was a children's museum where there was boxes you could stick your hand inside and feel textures. then you open it and see what you were touching. complete 180

The only thing I imagined would be there are those panel/lugs in the last picture. And I'm not sure if they operate like how I pictured it!

do they work fine when you put them back together?

Om_Audio

Ya the mechanism is simple- they work perfect after. The olnly issue could be the metal tabs that have to be bent to open them- just bent as little as possible with a blade and after re assembly give them a focused and firm tap with handle of a crescent wrench or other and they are good as new.

I just got home and in my mailbox were 2 samples of Mammoth'sr new "4SFS3PDT"
I will be reporting back here shortly with pics and comment.
C

lincolnic

I never imagined there'd be a plastic rocker in there. Neat!

Om_Audio

Mammoth 4SFS3PDT tear down

Pics of switch:
https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B4HE5N1xRnHJZHRvN0ZMSXd1dXc/edit?pli=1#docId=0B4HE5N1xRnHJYkdxRjJDa2QtNnM

I learned the "tappets" that push the flat "cams" are actually spring loaded- and look like a trio of penises.   ::)
I did not see anything glaringly different from standard switch but I will have to do a careful side by side once I have another on hand.

Thanks to Blake at Mammoth for sending me some samples, and also they changed my order for Rub-A-Dub parts as I had ordered wrong value for 33R, very nice of them and will save me some time!

T_MBaker

angrykoko

Quote from: Om_Audio on September 05, 2012, 02:09:35 AM

I did not see anything glaringly different from standard switch but I will have to do a careful side by side once I have another on hand.

These look better constructed.  Look at the blue housing on this one -vs- the standard... there 2  center supports for the white plastic rocker.

Also look at the blue housing where the white rocker "pivots" against the sides of the blue housing, that looks deeper and better supported.

The spring also looks to be of a different material.  I wonder if the lugs and cams are made of different metals?

I think I'd buy this switch over the standard one, it looks like a more rugged and precise design.

Since you have all 3,  how about some shots of them side by side so the differences would be more obvious.

Good stuff!
Thanks!

angrykoko

Well,

I take it back... I just took bad photo's before.
Here are the housings side by side.

The green one just looks beefier and more precise.

Om_Audio

I don't have a micrometer to look at thicknesses etc. The plastic def seems to be of a different type. Would help if I had taken all pics at same dist and zoom and lighting.
I got my Mammoth 4SFS3PDT-LSP PRO switches in today with my Mammoth order and added the pics to same link but in a sub folder:
https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B4HE5N1xRnHJNXlNbm5USURSYnM/edit?forcehl=1&hl=en
C