News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Reverse Reverb

Started by bigmufffuzzwizz, September 06, 2012, 07:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmufffuzzwizz

This is something I've been wondering about for awhile now. Anybody know of any DIY projects for something like this? I've heard this effect described as glassy or something like that, really intrigues me.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

madbean

My guess is that it's probably out of the realm of typical DIY. There is no "canned" solution I know of that can sample and reverse on the fly.

The closest thing I've heard is not in a delay, but the Perscription Fuzz (or something like that). It emulates the reverse fuzz a la Jimi. I've actually built a clone of that and it worked pretty well, I thought. But, it's more of a dynamics trick than a real reverse signal, obviously.

Scruffie

The EHX attack decay has a very short delay that is 'reversed', not sure if it's quite what you're after, it's a FAR more complicated prescription electronics style effect like bean mentioned, cool, but a big build.
Works at Lectric-FX

calciferspit

Have you tried plugging in your delay backwards???

bigmufffuzzwizz

Wow I can't believe I wrote delay...I completely meant to write reverse reverb!..is that any more possible?
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

madbean

You mean like a gate? Or a swell?

jkokura

Reverse reverb is some computer trickery in a studio. Otherwise, it's like reverse delay and requires more power computer control than the average DIY pedal uses.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Bret608

I agree with Jacob; I've only seen this on rack gear or on the more processor-heavy Boss or Digitech digital reverbs. The reverse reverb is a very key ingredient in Kevin Shield's (My Bloody Valentine) sound. I think he was getting it from a Yahama SPX rack processor or something.

madbean

Maybe if someone could point toward an audio sample?

Bret608

This kid pretty much nails the sound of MBV's "To Here Knows When." I think he just uses the Hardwire reverb's reverse function. The whammy bar manipulation is part of the sound for sure, but you'll get the idea.

http://www.ilovefuzz.com/viewtopic.php?f=149&t=23731

asatbluesboy

Don't know about reverse 'verb, but I do love me a delay with generous feedback into a 100% wet reverse delay. Repeats get higher instead of lower. Not very musical, as fairly uncontrollable, but gives me Led Zep yaled goosebumps.

juansolo

Been trying to snag a Dano Back Talk for sensible money for a while now. That used to be the cheapest way to get this effect.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

jubal81

I was looking at CoolAudio data sheets the other day and saw their multi FX chip (V1000) has a reverse reverb program.
http://www.coolaudio.com/products.html
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair