News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

18. Tap Tempo Tremolo (non Madbean)

Started by Liustucru, September 14, 2012, 01:33:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liustucru

Hello,
here's one of the very few builds which is not coming from Madbean but I think it is worth showing.
It is MusicPCB Tap Tempo Tremolo with all possible controls:
- big cream knobs from left to right are VOL, DEPTH, WAVE DISTORT and SPEED
- small black pointer knobs are WAVEFORM and MULTIPLY (ratio)
- footswitches are Tap Tempo, Multiply and true bypass ON/OFF

Some reports mentioned ticking problem when using only the blinking LED connected to 3PDT bypass switch.
So I chose to have the blinking LED always connected to the circuit in order to know the tempo even if the pedal is bypassed and add a traditional ON/OFF LED on top of the bypass switch.

The build came out pretty well except for another drilling layout issue I made. I thought the board would have fitted between the jacks but it didn't. Fortunately, I tilted the board, rotated the tap tempo switch and it fitted.

It works the first time, no ticking problem.
It sounds really great.
The most impressive feature was the range of the speed knob that goes from very very very slow oscillations (several seconds) to very very fast. The drawback is that the speed is very sensitive to the knob sweep. No big deal.
Sincerely I love it. It immediatly replaces without any regret my Empress Tremolo which I thought I would have kept forever  ;)

Some shots:

Guybrush

Great build.  Tremolo is my most used effect and this circuit has been top of  my 'Things to build when I've got the skills' list for ages.

I don't suppose you've got a diagram of how you wired up your LED's have you?  The way you have done it is just how I'd want it. 

Great job!

Liustucru

Quote from: Guybrush on September 14, 2012, 02:32:42 AM
Great build.  Tremolo is my most used effect and this circuit has been top of  my 'Things to build when I've got the skills' list for ages.

I don't suppose you've got a diagram of how you wired up your LED's have you?  The way you have done it is just how I'd want it. 

Great job!

Thank you.
There are 2 pads for the blinking LED on the PCB so simply wire the LED directly to the pads. It will blink all the time when you power the pedal and add the conventional LED as per Madbean wiring diagram (http://www.madbeanpedals.com/tutorials/downloads/StandardWiring_MBP.pdf)

Guybrush

Cheers man,  That was simpler than what I was expecting!

Can't wait till I feel confident enough to give this ago. 

midwayfair

Great job! I especially like the little pointer knobs. This is still one of my favorite pedals (it was one of the first pedals I actually got working) and it's hard to imagine anything kicking it off my regular board.

Guybrush

I know you're a bit of a pedal genius Jon but how difficult is this circuit? I REALLY want to give it a go but worried I'll balls it up. The sheer number of pots and different types of switches scares me a bit.

midwayfair

Quote from: Guybrush on September 14, 2012, 06:47:12 AMI know you're a bit of a prat Jon

FTFY. ;)

There are not that many things in this circuit that are likely to go wrong ... no biasing issues, no op amp distortion to suss out, and so forth. So as long as you take your time and make sure each part is correct before soldering it, you'll be golden. The worst that can happen is LFO LED ticking, and that doesn't happen as long as you build it stock (like the op's).