News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Kingslayer - Separate pots for clean and dirty?

Started by neiloler, September 21, 2012, 10:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neiloler

Would there be any advantage to this in terms of tweakability?

I know it would go beyond the scope of the intended circuit, but I'm wondering if such would be a boon or a curse?
OLERAudio - Sole proprietor, engineer, and goofball

jkokura

Could be cool. I've tried it, and there are some settings I would use, but I found myself looking at the two knobs and 1 out of every 2 times, they were just about the same. That's why I went with the dual gang pot.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

midwayfair

The Guitar PCB miniklone I built has the gain pot separate. I left the clean signal as an internal trim. I did a demo that includes it, though I don't fiddle with the trimpot at all. You can achieve some weird filtery sounds. A couple drawbacks is that it makes the pedal very "hard" in the upper mids and some positions will oscillate or squeal. Far be it from me to talk anyone out of making a pedal sound unusual or "worse." I'd say alligator clip the pots and test before you solder to decide if you think it's useful.

The increased chance of oscillation even with the diodes in the circuit would kill it for me, though.

neiloler

The oscillation was the part I was worried about, it makes the pedal more wild and less predictable.

Thanks for the feedback gents!

midwayfair

I'd still say try it and see if you like it.

Also, I can't be certain that there is an increased chance of oscillation. There probably isn't, since the signal would still be summed between the clean and dry paths, just in a very different way than with the dual gang.

Come to think of it, I'm now curious what it sounds like in a "real" klony circuit. I just can't justify building yet another [disclaimer: full-sized] one or tearing one apart at the moment to test it.

I can say for absolute certainty that it will give you more fine control over the EQ.

GrindCustoms

I've built one klone with a concentric gain knob, it was cool to play with both controls.

Like Jacob said, there's some setting that are usable, but for my taste it did'nt really worth it and changed it back to a dual gang.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

neiloler

That's a cool idea too, I might try that out as well.