News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

~More questions about CAPS~

Started by Haberdasher, April 20, 2010, 06:45:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haberdasher

Is there a reason people are so high on Xicon electros?  I've mined a bunch of caps off some various boards and none are xicons.  Is it a stability/dependability thing or do Xicons sound better?

Some of the electro's I've gotten off those boards are only 10v.  Are those pretty much worthless for pedals?
What about non-polarized electrolytics?  Should I trash these?

thanks
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

madbean

Xicons are popular because they are plentiful and cheap. There's no real advantage over any other type, really. Personally, I use either the high temp or the miniature ones. I like the minis because they help reduce the overall height of builds, which can become an issue when mounting effects in a 1590B. I use the high temps because they are green. No kidding. I like they way they look, and that's it :)

Haberdasher

I'm thinking of ordering multiples of WIMA box film caps from futurlec so I won't have to struggle every time I start putting together a pedal.

What are the most important values (read: most commonly used) to keep around for effects pedals?
So far I'm thinking

1n
2n2
3n3
4n7
6n8
22n
33n
57n
100n
150n
220n

but there are a lot of other values available too.
Am I leaving out any important ones?

Also, do any of you guys ever use monolithic caps in your pedals?

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

CRBMoA

10n and 47n jump out at me, but I have been building a lot of Big Muff variants lately, and those are common values for what I have been doing of late.

madbean

Quote from: Haberdasher on May 16, 2010, 06:25:01 AM
I'm thinking of ordering multiples of WIMA box film caps from futurlec so I won't have to struggle every time I start putting together a pedal.

What are the most important values (read: most commonly used) to keep around for effects pedals?
So far I'm thinking

1n x2
2n2 x1
4n7 x1
6n8 x1
10n x2
22n x1
47n x1
68n x1
100n x3
220n x1

I edited the list to what values I would order. Pick the smallest # you want to order (say 10 caps) and then use the multiplier I put next to them to get the best spread of values. The multiplier reflects, in my experience, the frequency with which you will use those particular values. So, if you order ten 47n's, then order thirty 100n's and so on.

Haberdasher

Thanks!

1) Is there any way you can also provide that same kind of info for electros & ceramics?

2) Can the same be done with resistor values?

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

madbean

Ceramics (pF)
47x1
100x3
220x1
330x1
470x2

Electrolytic (uF)
1x3
4.7x1
10x3
22x2
33x1
47x2
100x3
220x1

Resistors are harder because there are too many values. Here are some of the most used:
100R
220R
470R
1k5
1k8
2k2
2k7
3k3
3k9
4k7
5k1
6k8
8k2
1M
2M2
10M

Order a few batches of 100 each from effects connection or 200 each from Mouser over time and you will save a lot of money down the road. I have all these values (plus others) in quantity and I almost never have to hunt down one.

Haberdasher

That's great!  I was looking around futurlec & I saw there are about 85 different values of resistors available for purchase.  That really narrows it down, so I appreciate it.  8)

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

Haberdasher

Anybody know what kind of caps these are?  One of them says MKT on it.

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

madbean

db72

-db-

fine diei est quod est

gtr2

Just joined the forum.  This is a great site!!!  Currently working on a Serendipity...  Where are you getting the mini green caps and what brand/part# you are talking about?  Thanks for the great site once again.  Keep up the good work!  ;D
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Haberdasher

I think he's talking about caps like these.  FYI, I've never shopped at this place so I'm not recommending it or anything.  I have no idea where madbean gets his.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=020-1732

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

Haberdasher

Quote from: db72 on May 20, 2010, 12:48:05 PM
those look hot :o

I don't remember now what I pulled those out of.  I'm thinking about putting one of these in C4 in my Krunkee build because it's so much smaller than the Panasonic ECQ cap I have.  I will probably post it in the builds forum later.   :)

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

Jamiroking

I'm a noob here. Just ordered my first PCBs and getting my stuff through mouser and am sort of going insane from their options on the caps (as for resistors, I was able to just get all metal film). I noticed you marked ceramic for pF, Electrolytic for uF and film caps for nF. Should I just choose my caps based on this breakdown? What is the actual type of film cap to use? Also, I notice a lot of people recommend the Vishay Dale resistors but is there anything wrong with just buying the cheap $.05 KOA speer ones? If it makes a difference, I'm going to be building the Zombii, the Krankosaurus, and a Ross/Dyna clone from Tonepad.

Sorry for all the questions but until I get the boards and get to start building, all I have is confusing choices to fill my time.

Thanks and love the site Brian!