News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Woody, "a cheap acoustic simulator"! (SMD content)

Started by Ettore_M, October 18, 2012, 07:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ettore_M

Hello there!

Here's the Woody I built for my friend Thanos for his birthday! I was a little late, as his birthday was at July. But then, I was on holidays, and when I returned, I had my exams (I study Biomedical Enginnering  :)). Finally I finished it last Friday and I'm really happy he likes it already! ;D

It's a great circuit! Huge thaks to Mark Hammer for designing it and Oliver Alex making it working with a single 9v supply. It really cleans your guitar signal and makes it more acoustic-like! Just awesome! I'm really curious why I don't see Woody builds more often.  :( Guys, I liked it so much that I wanted to keep it for myself. I guess I have to build another one for me! ;)

The layout is my design, it uses mostly SMD resistors and the rest of the parts are T-H. I wanted to use SMD TL074s, but it would be too difficult due to the fact that I wanted it to be one-sided layout for etching. The layout on this build caused me some problems, because two caps didn't fit right in the enclosure. That's why there is a cap on the bottom side of the board. :-[ By the way, the layout is now corrected and if anybody wants to build this, I'll happily post a build doc for it in the Members Projects and Tutorials. Just ask!  ;)

The enclosure is polished and then engraved with my Dremel-like tool (Parkside it's called! I got it from LIDL - the european guys know! ;) - for just 23 Euros! Great tool!  :D). I really like this finish, but it takes too much time..  :(

Finally, the 3PDT board I used is the old v1 board. Don't worry! You guys have the newest one! I used that, because I had one on hand...

After this long post (Sorry for that :-[), here's the build photos: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/07ih0mqyfjkszmu/JBi9L-Ef6c !
Enjoy!

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

midwayfair

I feel weird complimenting another guy's Woody, but that's some nice labeling on your box there.

heh.

heh.

I'm 12.

Ettore_M

Quote from: midwayfair on October 18, 2012, 07:29:28 PM
I feel weird complimenting another guy's Woody, but that's some nice labeling on your box there.

heh.

heh.

I'm 12.
I hope you don't mean that "Woody" is what you call "weener".. Or is it?  :o
I'm Greek, so this is all "greek to me"!  ;)
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

GrindCustoms

I really dig your etched smd builts man! it rocks!

How did you engraved it?

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Ettore_M

Quote from: GrindCustoms on October 18, 2012, 09:17:04 PM
I really dig your etched smd builts man! it rocks!

How did you engraved it?
Thanks, Rej!
For engraving, I used my "Dremel" 's tool for engraving that came with it. I think it's called "Diamond Ball Burr". It's something like this:

Hector
- Culturejam

GrindCustoms

Hey, that's cool, never thought of using those.... ::)

I spend alot of time with my dremel...but always passed over these...

Cheers!

Rej
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

njkke

pickdropper

That is very nice, Ettore. 

I am impressed with your skill with the Dremel.  I've used a ball burr bit plenty of times and I couldn't do anything that precise.  Did you do that free hand or did you use a template?  Either way, it looks very nice.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Guybrush

Quote from: Ettore_M on October 18, 2012, 07:06:20 PM
By the way, the layout is now corrected and if anybody wants to build this, I'll happily post a build doc for it in the Members Projects and Tutorials. Just ask!

Great build!

I'd love to see a build doc if it isn't too much trouble.

Thanks.

Ettore_M

Quote from: pickdropper on October 19, 2012, 11:51:35 AM

I am impressed with your skill with the Dremel.  I've used a ball burr bit plenty of times and I couldn't do anything that precise.  Did you do that free hand or did you use a template?  Either way, it looks very nice.
Thanks!  :D
I did that kind of free hand. I printed the letters on common A4 paper, I put that piece of paper on the box with a little tape and then I pass the borders of the letters with an exacto knife. Finally, what remains are the borders engraved by the exacto, which then you fill (engrave) with the dremel. It's not the best and maybe a template is better, but it does the job!  ;)

BTW, I hope you'll understand what I wrote. You know English is not my mother language..  :)

Hector
- Culturejam

Ettore_M

Quote from: Guybrush on October 19, 2012, 11:58:02 AM
Quote from: Ettore_M on October 18, 2012, 07:06:20 PM
By the way, the layout is now corrected and if anybody wants to build this, I'll happily post a build doc for it in the Members Projects and Tutorials. Just ask!

Great build!

I'd love to see a build doc if it isn't too much trouble.

Thanks.
I hope I'll post it later this weekend. It's almost ready! Just some details left!
I'll also ask Brian if it's ok to post it, because it'll be the first time I post something like it!  ::)

Hector
- Culturejam

pickdropper

Quote from: Ettore_M on October 19, 2012, 12:13:49 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on October 19, 2012, 11:51:35 AM

Thanks!  :D
I did that kind of free hand. I printed the letters on common A4 paper, I put that piece of paper on the box with a little tape and then I pass the borders of the letters with an exacto knife. Finally, what remains are the borders engraved by the exacto, which then you fill (engrave) with the dremel. It's not the best and maybe a template is better, but it does the job!  ;)

BTW, I hope you'll understand what I wrote. You know English is not my mother language..  :)

Hector

Hey Hector,

Your English is pretty good, actually.  Everything you said made perfect sense.  :-)

That's a good approach to the dremeling.  I've never tried it that way.  Very cool.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Ettore_M

Thank you! I hope it'll come the time when I won't think if the thing I'm writing is wrong or it may offend someone..

And the dremeling came with the dremel. When I opened the box, I wanted to try everything in it! I even read the manual! ;D
- Culturejam

Ettore_M

Hey guys! For those who wanted to build this, I finished the build doc a few days ago, complete with PCB transfers for etching. As I told you, I pm'ed Brian to see if he's ok with me posting it, but I didn't get an answer.. I'm sure he's too busy, so I'll maybe pm one of the moderators (maye Jacob).. When I get an answer, I'll post it ASAP! ;)

Hector
- Culturejam

Guybrush

Quote from: Ettore_M on October 23, 2012, 09:31:10 AM
Hey guys! For those who wanted to build this, I finished the build doc a few days ago, complete with PCB transfers for etching. As I told you, I pm'ed Brian to see if he's ok with me posting it, but I didn't get an answer.. I'm sure he's too busy, so I'll maybe pm one of the moderators (maye Jacob).. When I get an answer, I'll post it ASAP! ;)

Hector

Great news.  Really looking forward to seeing it.

I'm pretty sure you can post the Doc in the Members Projects & Tutorials area.  After all that's what it's there for  :)