Main Menu

Normally not something I post..

Started by gtr2, October 20, 2012, 04:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtr2

I normally don't post gear purchases.

A) because my GAS has slowed since becoming more involved in DIY

B) I just don't  :)

But.. today I had one of those rare occurrences that never happens to me.  I'm the lucky one who got an unbelievable deal.

Wife was going through yard sales looking for a small chair for our daughter.

I just got home from work and my phone rings.. "hey I drove by this place and they music stuff for sale"  They are just putting the stuff out now.  (it was late am)  Okay I said, let me know if anything looks interesting.  Not expecting her to call back, I got a call and she said "they have pedals, guitars, and old amps, seems like something you'd like."  I say "okay, on my way!"

I hang up, hop in the truck and beeline to the place.  Even though I was still hesitant that there would be stuff worth purchasing at a yard sale and if it was they'd be asking big bucks.  But I did happen to have some cash on hand, which I never do.  But fate would have it that he had some good stuff cheap.

This is what I scooped up... guy was going through a rough time and just needed to get rid of the stuff!

2002 reissue deluxe electric mistress
misc Boss pedals, not a boss guy but cheap
boomerang +
and a ...
'68 Bassman Silverface "Dripline" (runs a little hotter than I think it should, but sweet sounding)

all for a song!  Now I'm indebted to my wife  8)

Josh

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jtn191

killer! so jealous.
Boss may be cheap but they do the job; could be used for trades  ;)

jubal81

Whoaaaaa. That is one hell of a haul. Congrats.
Little lady deserves a dinner out for that find.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

atreidesheir

silverface bassman was only played by Paul MCCartney delivering his best bass tone (early 70's solo and Wings).  I have used one for guitar and sounded pretty good.  Good clean tube tone.

I walked into a pawn shop 6 years ago and there was a tc electronics chorus/flange for $49.  Bought it and ran out before I was seen.  One of the best days of my adult life not involving love or children.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

pickdropper

That's quite a score there, Josh.  The tube bassman is particularly cool.

And you got a Metal Zone out of the deal.  At some point in their life, everybody seems to have owned one of those.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

PhillyWill

Aquaboy, Cupcake, Poindexter, Slambox

nzCdog

Haberdasher

Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

TheCobbenator

Congrats, man! I've wanted a bassman for forever. And I've been seriously considering buying a metal zone to put a klon circuit or something equally confusing in, lately

midwayfair

WOW!

The Bassman's a particularly nice score, but the Boomerang too -- those don't come up used very often.

GrindCustoms

Man! :o

More power to you! that's an awesome catch, always wanted to give the Boomerang a try! 8)

And..........i don't feel the need to comment about the fender..... :P

Quote from: pickdropper on October 20, 2012, 06:06:00 PM
And you got a Metal Zone out of the deal.  At some point in their life, everybody seems to have owned one of those.

I still have one! Hahaha!
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

TNblueshawk

Wow, killer diller.

I think I would tell Lady Gtr2 that tonight is her lucky night  :o   ;)
John

gtr2

yeah, I was lucky..

Even though I could flip the bassman for over twice what I paid, I think it will be something I hold on to for a long time!

Do I dare say this would be my second metal zone in my pedal acquisition career.  :-X  
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

gordo

Wow, best of done so far was my wife snagging a decent toaster oven to bake the finishes on my pedals.  Having repaired or rebuilt a truckload of black and silver face bassmans I agree: hang on to that puppy.  They're nice little amps, a great piece of amp history, and an easy fix if it blows up.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

raulduke

SCORE!

I agree Josh; you hold onto that Bassman. They are only going to get rarer (and increase in value) anyways.

I think you owe the Missus a treat for her sterling work  ;)