News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Lil' Green Watter!

Started by nzCdog, November 03, 2012, 11:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ettore_M

Quote from: nzCdog on November 03, 2012, 11:23:26 PM
If anyone is interested I'll put together a project sheet with the schematic and pcb artwork at some stage.  :)
That's great, Corey! Really nice project! I'm very interested to see your design! Sounds great!  ;)

Does this cute thing run on 12V on both stages? Or do you have a voltage multiplier to run the tube on higher voltage? Could the latter be done? Would it work?
Sorry for the questions, but I was starting to search info to design an amp like yours (maybe based on Beavis's Tube Cricket), but I wanted to run the preamp on higher voltage (70 - 80V.. Like your Boobtube! ;))...

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

nzCdog

Hey Hector, thanks man!:)

QuoteDoes this cute thing run on 12V on both stages? Or do you have a voltage multiplier to run the tube on higher voltage? Could the latter be done? Would it work?
Sorry for the questions, but I was starting to search info to design an amp like yours (maybe based on Beavis's Tube Cricket), but I wanted to run the preamp on higher voltage (70 - 80V.. Like your Boobtube!

Well the short answers are, Yes it runs on 12VDC right through... and no, you couldn't run the tube plates at a different voltage... well, not on the pcb I made.  You'd need a new circuit design tbh.

nzCdog

Ettore_M

Quote from: nzCdog on November 06, 2012, 12:59:46 AM

QuoteDoes this cute thing run on 12V on both stages? Or do you have a voltage multiplier to run the tube on higher voltage? Could the latter be done? Would it work?
Sorry for the questions, but I was starting to search info to design an amp like yours (maybe based on Beavis's Tube Cricket), but I wanted to run the preamp on higher voltage (70 - 80V.. Like your Boobtube!

Well the short answers are, Yes it runs on 12VDC right through... and no, you couldn't run the tube plates at a different voltage... well, not on the pcb I made.  You'd need a new circuit design tbh.
Yes, I didn't mean if I could run the tube on higher voltages on your design. What I meant is if someone could make a hybrid amp like yours and run only the tube preamp on voltages, which would give higher headroom, and still run the heaters and the 386 power amp on 12V?  :)

Sorry if I go off-topic..

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

bigmufffuzzwizz

Really enjoy the sounds coming out of your custom rig! I'd been meaning to do a noisy cricket for sometime but I think I'll just go with one of these! Finally something to run my 6x10 that's been idle for much too long.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

nzCdog

Quote from: Ettore_M on November 06, 2012, 04:03:13 AM
Quote from: nzCdog on November 06, 2012, 12:59:46 AM

Yes, I didn't mean if I could run the tube on higher voltages on your design. What I meant is if someone could make a hybrid amp like yours and run only the tube preamp on voltages, which would give higher headroom, and still run the heaters and the 386 power amp on 12V?  :)

Sorry if I go off-topic..

Hector

Anything is possible!  But it would require an entire new circuit design.  The tubes sound different at different voltages, so if you were going to do that you might as well even choose a better power amp and be able get some pristine cleans from a higher wattage IC... the footprint would increase and there'd be lots more parts neccesary to boost the plate voltage.  So original the simplicity of this circuit would be out the window right away.  To be honest I'm looking forward to what Brian comes up with from his submini tube expeditions  ;D

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on November 06, 2012, 12:29:16 PM
Really enjoy the sounds coming out of your custom rig! I'd been meaning to do a noisy cricket for sometime but I think I'll just go with one of these! Finally something to run my 6x10 that's been idle for much too long.
Thanks bro, I definitely want to hear your cab in action if you get this built! 8)

Ettore_M

Agreed! Sure thing is what I'm thinking will be more complex than this and simplicity is not the first I want. What I'm after is the "hugeness" I got when playing with an Orange Micro Terror, but without the dirt, in which it depends.
Good recommendation on better power amp! Some weeks ago, I found some LM and TDA amps, that are better quality and have bigger output wattage (some going even to 20W!)..
I guess it's time to get my breadboard ready and start experimenting!

Thanks, Corey!

Hector
- Culturejam

mshuptar

That's a super-cool looking cab, too.

DutchMF

Quote from: midwayfair on November 04, 2012, 05:30:06 AM
Quote from: nzCdog on November 03, 2012, 11:23:26 PM
If anyone is interested I'll put together a project sheet with the schematic and pcb artwork at some stage.  :)

Um, heck yes? This is something I've been thinking of for a while (combining the tube pre with the 386).

And you'll probably squeeze it in a 1590A...  ;)
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Stomptown

Sounds great! Thanks for the video. I would love to build one of these..

aballen

Just to dam cool really.  beans forums are just burying me with "must build" projects  :-)

spaceboss

Thanks for the project. Cab is wicked.

nzCdog

jeffaroo

if it were me, id find a old school radio like a cathedral radio and mount the whole thing inside it
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

nzCdog

It is you.  Do it and post pics! 8)