News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New Delay?

Started by thetrend77, November 30, 2010, 08:00:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thetrend77

I know this would probably be a difficult build, but what about a clone of a Boss DD-5, or something with a dotted eighths mode? I know I'd be all over that if it were available lol

madbean

Well, the DD5 is probably DSP, so there would be no way to clone that on a strictly DIY scale. Probably the closest you would get is a dual PT2399 like the BYOC Ping Pong and hack it to have the second chip have an automatic offset. I'd have to put some thought into that...just the first thing that comes to mind.

thetrend77

Ah, yeah I figured it would be difficult. Oh well, just a thought!  ;D

jkokura

Hey there,

I will note that I am working on a dual PT2399 circuit myself. It will be similar in some respects to the BYOC dual delay, but will not feature a ping pong circuit. My idea is to do a layout that will fit in a 125B, will have a dual pot to control the delay time, and will allow the user to have at least 800 ms (hopefully more like 1 second) of clean digital delay.

Now the tap tempo stuff... That's more complicated. Probably the best way to do it is to have a digital pot that can be controlled via tap tempo, which is I think how the PTAP circuit worked, but since that isn't supported right now...

I think there's something out there still, and the Taptation project shows promise, but...

I'm beginning to simply use commercial products if I need tap tempo. I have one Rebote 2.5 with tap tempo, and it's great but the delay isn't long enough. I have a PT80 with tap tempo that's been awaiting debug for nearly a year now. I also just picked up a Ping Pong with a PTAP board, but I haven't even begun to figure out if it's even working yet.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

gtr2

I currently have an eventide timefactor for my tap and dotted eighth needs.  I know that doesn't help you.  But after looking into the diy tap tempo stuff I could not find something I would feel comfortable with nailing the correct tempo in a live setting.  By the way the timefactor does a lot but I still have a carbon copy for my modulated analog delay needs.  I love the carbon copy and hope one day for a diy pedal that can compare to this pedal.   ::) "hint, hint"
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

thetrend77

A Carbon Copy diy would be nice too!

eniacmike

the carbon copy was designed by jeorges tripps the same guy who designed the aqua puss. In an interview he said it was pretty much the same with double the delay time.

I just got a deluxe memory boy analog delay with tap tempo. I doubt it can be cloned for cheaper than you can buy one though. I looked inside and it has two boards one is smd likely with all the tap tempo control and pots on it and the 2nd board looks like bbd chips and clocks. there are 4 pairs. it gets 600ms delay with the knob but you can trick it into 1500 ms if you use the tap tempo (it is extremely lo-fi though)

jkokura

Yeah, I think the upcoming Aquaboy 2 (Aquaman?) will be somewhat like a Carbon Copy. I don't know if it'll be 125B compatible, but I'll build one.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

thetrend77

Yeah I'll probably build one too once it comes out. But only if it doesn't take a rocket scientist to build lol. I'm still on my 2nd ever pedal (Sunking - waiting for 2 more parts to come in so I can finish it) so I'm still a noob.

My first one was a flop. It was one from another site that I etched myself. It had trim pots that I couldn't get set correctly to save my life, so I scrapped it.

jkokura

Quote from: thetrend77 on December 01, 2010, 06:57:18 PM
Yeah I'll probably build one too once it comes out. But only if it doesn't take a rocket scientist to build lol. I'm still on my 2nd ever pedal (Sunking - waiting for 2 more parts to come in so I can finish it) so I'm still a noob.

My first one was a flop. It was one from another site that I etched myself. It had trim pots that I couldn't get set correctly to save my life, so I scrapped it.

My second build was a small clone from tonepad, and it was successful. The other 4 boards I got from tonepad all needed debugging...

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

gtr2

Quote from: eniacmike on December 01, 2010, 04:09:58 PM
the carbon copy was designed by jeorges tripps the same guy who designed the aqua puss. In an interview he said it was pretty much the same with double the delay time.

I just got a deluxe memory boy analog delay with tap tempo. I doubt it can be cloned for cheaper than you can buy one though. I looked inside and it has two boards one is smd likely with all the tap tempo control and pots on it and the 2nd board looks like bbd chips and clocks. there are 4 pairs. it gets 600ms delay with the knob but you can trick it into 1500 ms if you use the tap tempo (it is extremely lo-fi though)

The reissue aquapuss in my opinion is a different beast than the original, as the original uses the mn3005 and the reissue the v3205.  The carbon copy uses CD3208's.  I just think the cc is a little less "in your face" delay and a little darker repeats.  Plus the modulation is really great.  I had a deluxe memory boy for about a month, I didn't care for it.  It seemed do dull down my sound, that's the only way I can explain it.  Plus I had some bad clock noise when I used it with my dual rectifier unless I used it with it's own isolated power source.  But for the money it really rocked and was really functional for an analog delay.  Plus the easter egg function was cool, but not really useful for what I play.

josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer