News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

'45' Smoothie

Started by LaceSensor, November 24, 2012, 11:12:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

Built this today. Waiting on some matched FETs, but sounds pretty cool even with the first two outta my bag (2N5457's)

I added a 20kB Blend Pot, thanks Jon for the tips on how to do that. Also, has a blinking rate LED. Wish the LED faded on and off, it just goes like a square wave on and off...nevermind! It works, thats what matters.
Also added a vibe mod, which sounds subtly, but nicely, different to the normal tone, bit darker and "suckier"

Heres some badly taken pics

midwayfair

Looks good.

I think a 2.2K on the LED's cathode will make it blink a little less square. :)

LaceSensor

ah ok. I could try that. 2.2k to ground off the negative side, right?

just tried it, no real difference, thanks for the tip tho.

nzCdog

Nice badly taken pics ;)  Tidy build and I'm sure I've told you before but your logo is sweet 8)

midwayfair

Quote from: LaceSensor on November 24, 2012, 11:42:51 AM
ah ok. I could try that. 2.2k to ground off the negative side, right?

just tried it, no real difference, thanks for the tip tho.

Darn. Usually that works (tremolos and such). :(

nzCdog

Actually Lace, here's a way to get to get the Led to fade by creating an RC time constant.

You'd need an electro cap connected in parallel with the LED, say 220-470uF.  Then put your 4.7K series current limiting resistor on the anode (+) side of the LED in circuit.  Higher value cap or higher value resistor = slower discharge time, holding the LED in forward bias longer after the power is removed. :)

LaceSensor

Quote from: nzCdog on November 24, 2012, 03:57:22 PM
Actually Lace, here's a way to get to get the Led to fade by creating an RC time constant.

You'd need an electro cap connected in parallel with the LED, say 220-470uF.  Then put your 4.7K series current limiting resistor on the anode (+) side of the LED in circuit.  Higher value cap or higher value resistor = slower discharge time, holding the LED in forward bias longer after the power is removed. :)

Ill try that next :)
thanks

LaceSensor

that worked, awesome. Thankyou!

nzCdog

jimijam

Quote from: LaceSensor on November 24, 2012, 11:12:08 AM

Also added a vibe mod, which sounds subtly, but nicely, different to the normal tone, bit darker and "suckier"

I always thoughta good description was "chewier"!
tried lifting weights once....they were too heavy!

LaceSensor

kinda wierd now I have had more time to test it I dont really hear any difference with this set up.

I set it as C5 on a switch, was that the right one?

timbo_93631

Do you use the holes in the pot as a strain relief?  I cant tell if the wires are run through the holes on the underside and then up to the lugs and soldered.  If so, that is pretty neat, never thought of doing it that way.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

LaceSensor

Quote from: timbo_93631 on November 25, 2012, 07:28:19 AM
Do you use the holes in the pot as a strain relief?  I cant tell if the wires are run through the holes on the underside and then up to the lugs and soldered.  If so, that is pretty neat, never thought of doing it that way.
yeah thats how I do it.

hoodoo

Love that colour mate, looks great.
All the best, Matt.

pickdropper

Nice looking build there (as always)
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper